Moodle and Facebook

Moodle and Facebook

by Suzanne Tyler -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone,

I have spent countless hours going over forums and discussions all to no avail. The original courses that I made were on 1.9 but I have just upgraded to 2.2. Our original website is no longer and I would like to use Moodle- on FB- as our website.

I have a course that I want to offer on FB. There will be additional courses later, but the first one I want to offer as free. So that people can get an idea of the course layout, use and content. Then I want to add additional courses, for a small fee.

Is there an application of Moodle already platformed with FB that other users can build on? and/ or Can Moodle be added as an application on Moodle.- and run from within FB? I read where advertising costs are lower if you can keep the people within the FB program. Can Moodle be used on the "page" that a person adds as a "front page" to their fb profile- like a web-site powered by Moodle (which I think is absolutely awesome and STILL trying to get my head wrapped around the idea!)

If there are any discussion links or forums that might send me in the right direction ( that I haven't already looked at), please direct me there. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this started immediately.

Thanks so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Suzanne Tyler

Re: Moodle and Facebook

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Suzanne

I know, this is not the type of discussions you were looking for. Still, it is worth having a look at the other side of the coin: "Are you concerned about social networking sites trawling your learners' data?" http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=191032
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Suzanne Tyler -

Excellent point, Visvanath!

Since I have received no answers from any other places I have posted- I have decided to just rebuild a main website and host from there.

Wish me luck~ I am so rusty on how to do it again......

Thanks!

by elle peterson -

ha - yeah, sometimes just makes sense to start over instead of fight it ... in the middle of a similar decision...

In reply to elle peterson

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yes, 'sense" is the word!

For example, I need to know the sense behind the statment "I have a course that I want to offer on FB". Being not on Facebook I may have missed something.

And on, "I have a course that I want to offer on FB ... the first one I want to offer as free".

What happens to those "freely" generated (user) data? http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=191032#p835744

In addition to all these serious (known) issues something, something unexpected (to me) came up just yesterday:
"Rethinking the Social Media-Centric Classroom"
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/02/12/1846230/rethinking-the-social-media-centric-classroom

by John Doubleday -

Hi Susanne,

Why do you have to build a new site when there are dozens of reliable,willing Moodle sites for individuals to use?