tabbed activities

tabbed activities

by Matt Jenner -
Number of replies: 2

I've always liked the Social Format for Moodle, I think it makes the idea of a social forum come to life when it's the main focus of the course. I then wondered if perhaps other activities could benefit from this experience, such as Glossary, Wiki or Database.

I'd like to make a course which was activity-driven, and hence rather than digging into the activities the user simply has a tabbed course where the activities are 'planted' as tabs at the top. 

I appreciate you can 'make' there and put icons (or similar) in Topic 0 - but I wondered if a course format would offer more integration of the activity being directly on the page, rather than having to create all the activities. 

Is this feasiable? I've some some digging into a few formats to try and hack this together but I don't know enough (yet) to be able to complete the task. 

If there was any general support for this I'd happily continue with my hacking around, I just wondered what other people thought? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Jenner

Re: tabbed activities

by Deleted user -

Have you tried Onetopic format?

In reply to Deleted user

Re: tabbed activities

by Matt Jenner -

yes, but I can't help but feel that the display/structure of the activities one level deep doesn't promote good interaction with the course. Instead, it would seem, to me at least, that if activities were presented right on the page, via tabs or another quick way to jump between them then learners may be more inclined to participate. Additionally, if staff may see how activities can form the basis of a course, then they may be inclined to create courses based on an active participation model, rather than a selective activity inclusion model - which may be the case. 

Im sure this is quite feasible, I just don't quite understand the code I'm looking at to make any changes.