TeX in Answers for Calculated Multichoice

Re: TeX in Answers for Calculated Multichoice

by Thomas Mellin -
Number of replies: 2

Having followed several Moodle community and other links, I've found this procedure to be perfectly successful in Moodle 2.5: (This procedure essentially uses an external tool for consistent, complete TeX conversion throughout the multi-choice question)

1. Site Admin→Plugins→Filters→Manage filters→[disable TeX notation]
  2. Site Admin→Appearance→Additional HTML→[add the following to the "Within HEAD" field]
  3. Consider installing and pointing Additional HTML HEAD to your own copy of MathJax if you control the server

Output (touchable answer choices with randomly-determined 'seed' number)

Samples of code used to produce output

In reply to Thomas Mellin

by Xiaohui Ye -

Hi,

This is an old question, but it doesn't seem to have been resolved for those of us who are not administrators. I cannot do this myself, as a teacher / course creator (unless I missed something, fairly new to moodle).

Is this going to be resolved at some point? It would make the "calculate multiplechoice" type so much more useful...

Thanks

Using moodle 2.8

In reply to Xiaohui Ye

by Greg Padberg -

Confirmed, this is still an issue on Moodle 2.8.6 with both MathJax and TeX filters enabled (in that order respectively).

The only way it seems to work correctly is when MathJax is loaded for all Moodle pages (adding MathJax javascript loader at Site administration > Appearance > Additional HTML within HEAD).  I have adopted this configuration for now and disabled both the MathJax and TeX Moodle filters, as no combination of the filters settings are able to get this working as hoped.

This workaround is available to Moodle Admins, but otherwise any users with only Teacher access would otherwise be out of luck.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)