backup whole category? possible?

backup whole category? possible?

by sarp tortum -
Number of replies: 7
hi,

i need to backup my moodle courses. but i have one category and under this category i have 3 courses. i want to backup this whole category with courses. is it possible? and how do i?
thank you,
Sarp Tortum
Average of ratings: -
In reply to sarp tortum

Re: backup whole category? possible?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi sarp,

you only can backup individual courses manually. Instead you can use the "scheduled backups" functionality to backup all the courses in your server (Administration/Backup).

Anyway, one file will be created for each course (there isn't possibility to group them in the same file), but, at least, you won't have to execute them manually.

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Carvell Fenton -

I see that this post is an old one, but I just thought I would check. Since 2005 has any way to backup and restore a whole category arrived? I see it listed in the development pages for backup 2.0, so I suspect not.

I would also like to be able to do this, because I am using scenario 4 with metacourses (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Metacourses#Scenario_4) and it would be amazingly helpful if I could just restore the category with a new name and have my child course and metacourses brought back for the next offering of the Program (or Diploma as in the scenario).

Carvell

In reply to Carvell Fenton

by Eric Bollens -
I'm currently in the process of finishing development on stand-alone batch backup and restore scripts that allows a user to import a CSV of course ids and back those courses up through the API, as well as specify a folder and restore all the courses in that folder into a Moodle instance. We'll be testing this next week, and I'll post once it's done and available.
In reply to Eric Bollens

by Mark van Hoek -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Good on you ! I'd love to get a copy of that script when it's ready. Would you post an update to this forum, please ?

Thanks,

Mark
In reply to sarp tortum

by Mike Turpin -

I need to do this also: I need to be able to back up the category and then restore so that the category name and all courses within have new names.

Category: Year 11 Homework

Sub Cat: Maths  > Courses > Mrs Green >MR Brown

Becomes:

Category: Year 10 Homework

Sub Cat: Maths  > Courses > Mrs Green >MR Brown

I am happy to change the name manually if needed but I hope there is a way this can be done more easily than I heve read so far!

Thanks

MikeT

In reply to Mike Turpin

by Raquel Sacristán P. -

Is there already any solution for this?

I'm using Moodle 2.1 and I would need to backup (and restore) a category with all the courses within it.

Any Ideas will be helpful.

Thanks,

Raquel.