A few Advanced Grading questions for Moodle 2.2.1

A few Advanced Grading questions for Moodle 2.2.1

by Greg Hundermark -
Number of replies: 16

Hello all,

I am using the Advanced Grading feature in 2.2.1 and loving it, but I have one MAJOR issue: I've made some changes to a rubric and now I need to regrade 140+ assignments or else students will not be able to see the rubric feedback.  Is there not an option to mass regrade by group so that I do not need to click "Save and Show Next" 140 times?

Also, how/where do I delete a rubric from the list of shared templates? I am an Admin but I cannot see where I would do that?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Hundermark

Re: A few Advanced Grading questions for Moodle 2.2.1

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. I don't know the answer to the first query, sorry , but for the second,if you create a new assignment with rubric grading and then click "define rubric" and then choose create new grading form from a template, I believe you have the option to delete templates there.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Greg Hundermark -

Thank you Mary.  The first one will be extremely frustrating if I can't get that figured out... hopefully someone can help!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Houghton -

Hey Mary:

I am using Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111223) and I do not have the option "create new grading form from a template". Is my version not current enough? I looked in the release notes and can't seem to find anything.

In reply to Rick Houghton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rick

Have you already made a rubric and saved it? In what role are you accessing the advanced grading? I think you need the permissions to be abe to create  a new grading form from a template -you need the capability moodle/grade:managesharedforms and/or moodle/grade:sharegradingforms and this is "not set" for a teacher.  If you are admin or manager you should be able to do this by default though

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Greg,

The way it's designed is this: 

If you change the structure of the rubric (adding/removing cells or criteria) then that is likely to change the way grades are calculated, so Moodle will force you to regrade everyone and check that their grades still make sense in the new rubric.  Grades are hidden from the students until you do this, to avoid confusing them.

If you change the rubric in a minor way (eg changing some text only) then you are warned and asked if you want to keep the current grades or not.

It's possible that there are some changes that would not affect grading but we are forcing you to regrade.  These could be considered areas to improve.

So how exactly did you change the rubric?

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Greg - actually your first question is already answered in the documentation (as I discovered when I went to add it!smile )

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Greg Hundermark -

Can you do me a favor and paste where it says that?  Typically what I'll do with Moodle documentation is search for keywords (in this case it was 'delete') to find what I'm looking for.

I've combed through it several times and can't find it... Maybe I'm misinterpreting the documentation or something?

by Mary Cooch -

Hi Greg - no - my reference to documentation was to Martin's comment about having manually to regrade after you had modified the form. There is currently no documentation on the "delete" bit but if you want to add it, feel free; otherwise I will add it myself.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Revisiting: Automatic regrading: Is it possible

by Jeff White -

(Salut Mary et tout le monde...)

Revisiting:  "The rubric definition was changed after this student had been graded. The student can not see this rubric until you check the rubric and update the grade."

When this arises, Is it possible to regrade multiple students automatically? 

I've searched to no avail, and did not find the answer at http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Advanced_grading_methods#Modifying_the_form_after_it_has_been_used as Mary suggested

Thanks

by Greg Hundermark -

I'm going to describe this from memory, so it may not be 100% accurate, but here is how I remember it:

I setup a rubric with three levels per criterian area, that added up to a total of 30 points.  For most levels of each criterian area, the scale went 3-2-1.  However, there were some that went 3-2-0.  Everything added up to a total of 30 points, so I assumed everything was good.

I went ahead and graded 140 projects, told the kids to take a look at the rubrics, and they pointed out to me that their final scores didn't match the point value they got when doing the math calculations by hand.

I was scratching my head because I couldn't figure out why Moodle wasn't doing the math correctly, so I sat down with another teacher and took a look at it.... we determined it was because we didn't have a category for "0".  I went back in and added a blank category of "0" to the rubric and manually regraded one student... that fixed it...

I also remember the paragraph above the rubric read:

The minimum possible score for this rubric is 7 points and it will be converted to the minimum grade available in this module (which is zero unless the scale is used). The maximum score 30 points will be converted to the maximum grade.
Intermediate scores will be converted respectively and rounded to the nearest available grade.
If a scale is used instead of a grade, the score will be converted to the scale elements as if they were consecutive integers.

I guess the question that I'd like an answer to is why doesn't Moodle do a simple calculation of the total points a student earned (based on the blocks I click) out of the total possible points?

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Greg,

I am aware that there are some operations with rubrics when students can be automatically regraded. Basically there are the following leveles of rubric changes:

0 - no changes
1 - only texts or criteria sortorders are changed, students probably do not require re-grading (but we still ask a teacher)
2 - added levels but minimum and maximum score on rubric remain the same, students still may not require re-grading
3 - removed criteria or added levels or changed number of points, students require re-grading but may be re-graded automatically
4 - removed levels - students require re-grading and not all students may be re-graded automatically
5 - added criteria - all students require manual re-grading

If In your case it was level 3 change, which means that students may be re-graded automatically. But I did not implement yet automatic re-grading. I created an issue MDL-31087 for it.

Thanks for your feedback on rubrics!

Marina

by Mine Ternar -

I have a related question:

I made what I considered to be a minor change to a rubric after having graded some students' works. The changes I made were mainly to have a couple more levels in scoring in two categories (as I found myself overriding the set level scores to give a different number of points in some cases).

A message popped up asking if I would regrade earlier works. Since I thought there was no need, I clicked on the option to not regrade, thinking that would save me time.

I then noticed that I had made an error in grading one student's work. The error had nothing to do with the updates I had made to the rubric. I wanted to go back and regrade it, but the rubric was now locked and was not allowing me to select a different set of scores. I could still override the final grade and correct it in its gradebook entry, but I was not able to regrade using the rubric. I did not think that selecting the "do not regrade" option would lock me into a mode where no edits to the rubric scores would be possible. I explained the situation to the student in the feedback area and overrode the final grade to insert the correct grade, but I am bothered by the fact that there appears to be no way to edit the scores on the rubric so that the student can clearly see what her scores are for each category per the rubric. 

In addition, the assignment status shows it as "draft" for some reason. It is not a draft, but I cannot change that either. I clicked on "unlock submission" but no luck. sad

by Patrick Rose -

How to change the rubric grade after changing the rubric?

Same sort of problem as above. Changed the points in a rubric, was told to review the student's rubric- but where?

by Becky Keene -

Hi Greg, did you ever figure out how to delete a rubric from the list of shared templates? I have the same need and can't figure it out either.

In reply to Becky Keene

by Mary Cooch -

Becky: If you create a new assignment with rubric grading and then click "define rubric" and then choose create new grading form from a template, I believe you have the option to delete templates there.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Becky Keene -

Thanks, Mary. I do see that option. I was hoping to be able to bulk delete shared rubrics from our site as the administrator instead of having to create a new assignment and delete rubrics individually. This does work, though. Any word on a more efficient method?