A 'new' collapsible hybrid course format for Moodle 1.9.x

A 'new' collapsible hybrid course format for Moodle 1.9.x

ved Frankie Kam -
Antal besvarelser: 14
Billede af Plugin developers

Today I decided to create a new course format for Moodle 1.9.x. A Collapsed Topics-Weeky hybrid if you will. This course format is organised by week, and you can display the topic title for any week. Here's a screenshot:

hybrid Course Format

Observations

1. The toggle bars are organised by week number.
  2. The week duration dates are shown when the Section is opened.
  3. The toggle bar may show the topic for that week (appended to the Week number).
  4. There is no Weekly Outline text at the top of the page

It shows the Week number when the toggle bar is closed. The week duration dates are shown when you click  the toggle bar. For example, "Week 1". 

I call this format a hybrid because you can opt to show just the Week number - leave the Section text empty - or, you could show a topic on the toggle bar.

You do this by typing a section text! For example, typing "All about MindMaps" in the section text, will display "Week 2: All about MindMaps" on the toggle bar. 

For more information and to download this format, go here.

Gennemsnitsbedømmelse: -
I svar til Frankie Kam

Re: A 'new' collapsible hybrid course format for Moodle 1.9.x

ved Gareth J Barnard -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers

Dear Frankie,

With respect after reading your blog entry which states that the format is yours, the fact that you have to replace the existing 'weekcoll' folder replacing the original 'Collapsed Weeks' and you do not mention me in any shape or form - you are in breach of Copyright as I clearly put at the top of 'format.php' in Collaped Weeks the Creative Common's licence http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ where you are free to build upon the work but you MUST attribute the original author - i.e. ME - unless you get permission - which you have not.  I went to a substantial amount of effort to create the format checking all of the required licences and contacting the authors where needed.  Plus, to be a new course format it needs to be in its own folder with all of the changes that implies.

You state in the post that the Collapsed Weeks solution is 'cluttered' and yet did not read the readme or see the comments around line 266 of format.php which reduces the 'clutter' as you say.  You appear to have climbed a moutain instead of contacting me to reduce the clutter with a one / two line change and give you the same solution.  I would have willingly helped you in this endeavour and produced an improved version that benefits all and indeed acknowledged your input - please see my Readme.txt and all the posts I make on this forum.

Please kindly remove links to this version and work with me to produce a version that solves your specific issue and I can put in the main baseline for all versions of Moodle for all you use without you having to maintain a seperate branch.  Or attribute me as the original author and state 'I have adapted the Collapsed Weeks course format developed by Gareth Barnard...'.

Regards,

Gareth J Barnard

Developer of Collapsed Weeks.

I svar til Gareth J Barnard

ved Gareth J Barnard -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Plugin developers

Dear Frankie,

Attached is a screen shot of a modified version of Collapsed Weeks for Moodle 2.1 that I knocked up in around 20 mins.  Is this what you are looking for and would want in the baseline?

Regards,

Gareth

Bilag cw_hb.png

1.9: Versatility of the " 'new' collapsible hybrid course format"

ved Gary Sutcliff -

Does this allow for week 1, 3 & 7 to be open yet all others collapsed?.  When I am building the course, presently I have all or one open and this can be a real pain.

P.S.  Do you really cover Java in one week and COBOL in the next?  (-:

I svar til Gary Sutcliff

Re: 1.9: Versatility of the " 'new' collapsible hybrid course format"

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Steve,

It is entirely possible to put some additional logic into format.php such that weeks 1, 3 & 7 open automatically - but that would be for all users and all courses that use Collapsed Weeks, unless you wished to test for specific course id / user id's.  But the further you go, the less flexible and longer updates take when things change.

The Java and COBOL examples are just for fun ;) - I started programming in Basic and COBOL was the second language I learnt at College.  My current favourite is Java and spend most of my time coding in it.

Cheers,

Gareth

Re: 1.9: Versatility of the " 'new' collapsible hybrid course format"

ved Gary Sutcliff -

Certainly would be nice to have control over which weeks to collapse.  I could close those that I am not presently modifying.  I never really understoof being to collapse only one week at a time.

Everything I know about life, I learned from my cat's Iphone.  No matter what the problem, there is a napp for that.

ved Frankie Kam -

Hi Gareth. Yes, very nice. And very fast too! This is what I was looking for. To make it up to you even more, I'll put a post in Moodlenews.com telling the world of your latest modification on the Collapsible Weeks couse format. 
Frankie Kam 

I svar til Frankie Kam

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Frankie,

Apology accepted, please give me time to read through your correction.  Please do not tell Moodle news yet as needs to be finalised - screen shot is an example of what can be done - needs a bit of work to make it user friendly - the hard bit ;).

Cheers,

Gareth

ved Frankie Kam -

Dear Garreth

When can we reveal your modified creations (Collapsed Week course format for 1.9 and 2.x) to the world?
Specifically, moodlenews.com. 

Frankie Kam

I svar til Frankie Kam

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Frankie,

In essence, no, because they do not exist within the distrubuted code.

There needs to be a well thought out mechanism for facilitating the activation of this specific customisation of the Collapsed Weeks format whilst at the same time being efficient in the way the code is executed at both the client and server ends as to not be of detriment to performance. The change should also not magnify my workload in terms of maintence.

I believe that your desired change whist good is a specific way of presenting a course that should be up to the user to choose if they so desire.  The current existing distribution is simple and elegant.

The change I illustrated in my previous post within this thread was with respect a mechanism to illustrate to you how the change could be applied without fully reinventing the wheel as you had done.  After all, why climb a mountain when you only need to stand on a chair?

The change itself needs to be applied five times in the first instance and tested on as many browsers as possible.  This takes time and needs to be performed from an engineering point of view.  I have often demonstrated a work in progress only to find afterwards that the sales person has then promised to have it delivered to the customer the next day when in reality it was six months away from being in such a state.  The same is true here, it must be done right and carefully thought out to determine the correct method of implementing the functionality upon the existing functionality.

In writing these words I believe that as there are more demands for variations on the presentation and the current mechanism of editing 'format.php' to achieve this would become overloaded and confusing that the solution to this would be an additional course setting in the database customised through the course settings form.  I currently do not know how to do this, although I believe other formats do and so could be used as examples in understanding how to.

Regards,

Gareth

ved Frankie Kam -

Hi Gareth.

My humble apologies for my grave oversight and violation of your copyrighted work which I can only attribute the cause of to my sheer stupidity and ignorance (which is without excuse) - caused by my excitement and haste of the coding work that I did for my production site.

I am sorry for not mentioning your name, the original author, and for wrongly claiming the work as a 'new' hybrid. That was wrong and I am sorry for what happened.

I have reworded the orginal blog post. Please check it out and email me if it is aceptable to you. I know that this is closing the door after the horse has bolted, but if it isn't too late, I would like to ask your permission for me to do this adaptation and for your permission for me to post the modified blog post on the subject. If you do not agree to the post in any way, please let me know what I can do to further reword it. If I am unable to satisfy the copyright and ethical requirements (which I so conveniently overlooked in my ignorance) to your satisfaction, I will remove the post, no questions asked. 

Thank you once again for pointing out my sins, and I will be careful not to let it ever happen again!

Regards
A slightly wiser Frankie Kam

ved Tim Hunt -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Documentation writers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Peer reviewers Billede af Plugin developers

While we are on the subject of licenses, I must point out that you cannot actually license a Moodle plugin under a creating commons license.

Moodle is released under the GPL. That gives you various freedoms to use Moodle, and create derivative works, but only if you follow certain conditions. One of those condidtions is that any derivative work is released under the GPL.

Any Moodle plugin is unherently a derivative work of Moodle (this was debated in the themes forum some time ago). Therefore, you must distrubute your plugin under the terms of the GPL.

The Free Software Foundation FAQ is a good place to learn more about these issues. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Note that the GPL would allow Frankie to create his derivative plugin of yours, but would not allow him to remove your copyright notices.

I svar til Tim Hunt

ved Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Tim,

Oh pants!!  Thanks for pointing that out, I see that it states:

'If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program, which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the plug-ins. This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins are distributed.'

Therefore will work to change the licence.  But I believe that Frankie should still credit me though.  Interesting to note that the GNU FAQ page you have stated is licenced under Creative Commons - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/3.0/us/

Now that Creative Commons has evolved would it be a better licence for Moodle as a whole?

Cheers,

Gareth

ved Tim Hunt -
Billede af Core developers Billede af Documentation writers Billede af Particularly helpful Moodlers Billede af Peer reviewers Billede af Plugin developers

Now that Creative Commons has evolved would it be a better licence for Moodle as a whole?

No.

There are important differences between text and media, like an FAQ, photo or video, which is appropriately licensed under CC, and computer code, which is better licensed using something like the GPL.

I think this FAQ covers it quite well: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyNotGPLForManuals