back up and restore from moodle 1.9 to moodle 2.0

back up and restore from moodle 1.9 to moodle 2.0

by umberto zaccaro -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I have to restore a lot of courses from moodle 1.x to moodle 2.0.

I know that it is not possible in smooth way so I've thought a workaround but I'd like to know if it has sense before to start the task.

My process could be this.

I back up the course from moodle 1.x. After, I restore the courses in a new site with moodle 2.2. Then I back up from moodle 2.2 and restore the courses in moodle 2.0.

Is it possible to do this workaround or there are issues for this?

Thank you very much in advance

Kind Regards

Umb

Average of ratings: -
In reply to umberto zaccaro

Re: back up and restore from moodle 1.9 to moodle 2.0

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> I back up the course from moodle 1.x. After, I restore the courses in a new site with moodle 2.2. Then I back up from moodle 2.2 and restore the courses in moodle 2.0.

I don't think you can "downgrade" a 2.2 course into 2.0.

From the trouble you are taking, I assume you must have 2.0 at the end. Then why don't you upgrade your whole site to 2.0 http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_2.0 ? That will take care of all the courses (at the beginning you said "to restore a lot of courses").
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by umberto zaccaro -

Hi  Visvanath,

thanks for your suggestion but my problem is:

the moodle 1.x installation is on a old instance no more used.

Now all  users are in a new  istance of moodle 2.0 and we are using this one.

So we have to migrate courses from old to new instance. I can't upgrade the old instance.

Let me know any further suggestion.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Umb

In reply to umberto zaccaro

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
ConversionThingy 2 http://www.conversionthingy.net/ sounds promising. I haven't tried it myself.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Conversionthingy is very limited to Windows with its insistence on using Microsoft's .Net technologies - for me, a waste of time writing a potentially good utility, like using a Bugatti Vayron car body with a two stroke motor.

mmm I got the sense that you are looking at upgrading the now defunct Moodle? I am assuming that you mean a really old version of Moodle... if it is before a v1.6.9 then you have a serious problem. You can go to Downloads and download v1.6.9 and try to update, then v1.7.7 and update again, then v1.8.14 repeating the updates then arriving at v1.9.15+. Once there, you can then take your courses, and backing them up, restore to your v2.2 - or if you are not on v2.2 then update to that version as well.  This is not an easy process and there are a number of serious pitfalls along the way. I suggest that you manually zip your moodledata folders, before starting, just in case. Also, backup afdtger every update and store them off somewhere else. I suggest that you do not include user data or user files. This may or may not work, but it clearly demonstrates the value of constantly updating, or rather, planning a program of regular updates, say a few as one a year, or to as many as one every month.

If you cannot update your older Moodle, then you may have to have someone strip out all the text and manually adapt them to Moodle v1.9.15. While this is time consuming, it is actually not a terribly difficult task. Create a set of courses that shows you what your file structures look like. You can directly upload any files or images that your courses require. Such things as labels and the like, the bells and whistles, are not essential but the assignments, the quizzes, the resources and such you may be able to replicate them in the v1.9.15+ and circumvent the longer and more tedious process of rewriting all your courses. What you can then do is to make sure that you know where everything is going to go in a moodle.xml file and you can rewrite your own to include all the appropriate data. Just do the text materials.

Alternatively, you can replicate your courses, one at a time, manually. Any way you do this, it is going to cost you time and money. Good luck.