(1.9) How do I change the "Max Grade"?

(1.9) How do I change the "Max Grade"?

by Gary Sutcliff -
Number of replies: 7

The "help" screen tells me to use the "Update Activity Page".  and this is where?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Sutcliff

Quiet neighborhood here,...

by Gary Sutcliff -

Maybe no one uses "Max Grade"?
I still cannot set it...

Re: Quiet neighborhood here,...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What do you want to do exactly? Change the max  grade for an assignment? From what to what? By "update activity" they mean you update the assignment settings page to increase the max grade in there - it is badly phrased, I agree.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gary Sutcliff -

I give points for a project.  Points change for other projects throughout the year.  In the beginning of the year, point values are low.  After mid term, they increase.  I created a scale that holds all the max point values that can be given for a project.

For example Proj1 = 429 points.  When I score, I choose a number from the scale 429 or below to grade the project.  Moodle's "Max points", I guess, is the highest point value in that scale.  This throws off all the Moodle calculations off as it sems to base the calculation on 1300 points beingthe highest value in the scale.

The "help" screen in assignments seemed to suggest that it was adjustable. Do I need to create a new scale for each of 45 projects and assignments?

Maybe, when I create an assignment, if I could set Max Points and not have to use a scale or popup menu, it could work.

If I cannot get Moodle to do work the way I run my class, can I defeat this Max grade and all its calculations? The numbers are totally bizadde when I give 548 points and Moodle bases a grade on 1300 points.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Would it help if you added the grades directly into the gradebook where you can specify  and alter a max grade, rather than from a scale in an assignment?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rajan Juniku -

Hi,

I have been trying to do this but to not avail. How does one add grades directly into the gradebook where you can specify  and alter a max grade, rather than from a scale in an assignment?

Thank you so much for your time.

Rajan

In reply to Rajan Juniku

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Rajan

To edit grades directly from the gradebook you need to go to course gradebook from  settings > course administration > grades. Click the "Turn editing On " button from the right side of the page. And override the user grade

For overriding the maximum grade click the "Edit activity" icon in the control row and activity columm

you will a get a grade item page where you can change "maximum grade" for that activity.

In reply to Rajan Juniku

by Bob Puffer -
  1. From the gradebook, Categories and items tab/ dropdown
  2. bottom of screen, Add grade item
  3. set maximum points

If you need to change the maxgrade, go back to Cats and items, click the edit icon (usually a pencil) next to the item you want to change