What about a "Usability Group" instead??

What about a "Usability Group" instead??

by W Page -
Number of replies: 13
Hello All!

The following is just a thought. Not meant to insult, enrage or make anybody angry. Just putting out an idea.

What about a "Usability Group"?

In the past I have requested a "Usability Forum".

Martin D - Please can we have a Usability Forum??
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17233

Today while reading a recent thread begun by David Scotson, I began to think of another approach.

Consistency and Usability
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19178

A
"Usability Group" should be composed of folks that look at Moodle functions and layout, primarily from a usability viewpoint. They would check for consistency and usability issues on a proactive basis. This would be similar to how Petr and Zbigniew check for security issues in Moodle by assessing old code as well as new modules, blocks and features. In fact, Moodle has a security web site. This definitely sends a message that security is a serious issue in Moodle.

I would think a "Usability Group" would do some things, like:
  • Help keep "usability" type of code (For example, button placement, instructions, fonts, navigation, etc..) consistent and watch out for possible conflict.
  • Lessen backtracking for code cleanup and correction (relating to consistency and usability)
  • Make well thought out (based on consensus within the group) suggestions about consistency and usability to the Moodle community for further discussion and decision making.
  • Work across all the forums in Moodle so that "consistency and usability" issues are addressed within the particular activity, module, block, etc.. forums.
  • Help to speed up development by working as a group
  • Decrease the time (and headache) it causes Martin D to keep up with all this kind of stuff by himself. [I remain amazed at how Martin D stays at the helm of Moodle and also codes himself]

Maybe a site, something like, http://usability.moodle.com [An open site that all Moodles could visit and be a part of.] could provide a workplace for the group where they could "knock around ideas" and then post them back to the specific forum in Moodle.org. At least, in the short term, until the updated Forums with the ability to "flag" the type of issue {usability, bug, feature request, etc..} is developed.

What do others think?

WP1
Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: What about a "Usability Group" instead??

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Not content with a forum now you want me to set up a new site?  big grin Gee, lucky I didn't waste time on that forum! wink big grin

The security site is separate only because it's potentially dangerous to have it all public, and more secure to be separate from this site.

Until I see more evidence that you actually want to help developers fix specific interface issues (and I know there are many) using the perfectly good existing channels (bug tracker and existing module-based forums) then I'll remain unconvinced of yet more pointless meta-discussion about this issue.  Just a thought.  wink

If someone wants to help write an authoritative interface style reference that'd be most welcome (see the documentation project) but even that is not a reason for another whole site.

Are you bored, WP? Looking for something to do? Please put yourself to good use in the bug tracker or the documentation project! wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by W Page -
Hi Martin!

No I do not want you to set up a new site. Just to consider the possibility of its use in developing better consistency and usability of Moodle by providing a place for a possible "Usability Group" to ponder and be helpful. wink  A Usability Forum was never created so it is not known if it would have developed any type of following or help to provide useful input. sad

Yes, I would like to help [In a non-coding way] developers fix interface issues, but, things seem to get lost in the present bug tracker. And yes, I know that a new type of forum stucture with "flags" has been discussed, but what about the interim.

Why can't a "Usability Group" even without a site (which was just a suggestion) be attempted? There no absolute need for a specific forum or site for the group to work. (Although, it would be nice however, for the group to have somewhere to interact. If not a forum, what about a wiki?). Just someone with experience to head the group.

Why write "an authoritative interface style reference" with no collective input or collaboration?

And also, I am not bored. I hope suggestions by any Moodler is not thought of as eminating from a "bored" mind. It was David's thread that got me thinking again about this issue. So I posted my thoughts. smile

WP1
In reply to W Page

by N Hansen -
I think "an authoritative interface style reference" is a great idea and much needed. Without one, it is very difficult for developers of new modules to create things that meet standards without having to guess and poke around for code everywhere, and therefore it would be up to Martin and his programming team to rework contributed modules to meet standards. Having an easy to follow guide would ease work on both ends.

And more heads put together on making such decisions is always good. But to avoid getting bogged down by people splitting hairs over whether to right align page headers or center them, there would need to be not only discussion, but a decision making procedure in place to actually come up with standards.

When I was editing a web site, I had to make a lot of standardization decisions, but when they were major issues I frequently discussed them with my colleagues before making them because they were the ones who would have to work with them and if we couldn't come to a consensus by discussion, we would simply vote, with the majority view prevailing. This meant sometimes I had to implement things I personally didn't agree with, but the majority liked it. Also, there are going to be nitpicky details that most people won't care to be involved with (I can tell you none of my colleagues would have been interested in the weeks long task I had of specifying various parentheses, colons etc. between strung together database fields), so you would need a leader who would be able to make these decisions when everyone else was bored to death with the details.

PS-Martin, standardization isn't something people turn to out of boredom...it's actually fun, at least in my opinion. On the one hand, it requires attention to detail, but on the other hand it requires a very broad overview of everything. You really get a comprehensive and thorough view of anything you have to standardize, which no one else working on bits and chunks of the whole has the opportunity to do.

Now, if I was really bored, I might take up something like coding...tongueout

In reply to N Hansen

by W Page -
QUOTE: N Hansen
"Now, if I was really bored, I might take up something like coding...tongueout"

big grin big grin big grin big grin

WP1

In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"Martin, standardization isn't something people turn to out of boredom" ...

I never said it was - what do you think 1.5 is mostly about?
In reply to N Hansen

by David Kelly -
the last bit of this thread is worth looking at in order to see what some basic organising and informing can do for "usability" .... it highlights Gnome's bugtracker/cvs approach to interface/usability issues and includes links to their good example of interface guidelines.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18423

I really feel that no-one is going to get deeply involved with moodle's interface/usability problems until there are clearly stated ground rules for interface and "easy to understand" rules for working.

If I came onto the moodle site tommorrow for the first time...would I easily be able to find information about how and where to help out with interface issues? .... I think not.

In reply to David Kelly

by W Page -
Hi David!

At the risk of being called "bored" because of my interest in this I would like to say I agree with your suggestion (see my post in the thread you referred to), but, I just feel usability "rules and regs" (so to speak) should be created in some type of collaborative format or atmosphere to be effective overall and with the people involved given some place to work (in the Internet sense of things).

I really feel this would be helpful and not separatist in nature if set up correctly

Anyone else have some feelings about this?

WP1

by Darren Smith -

using the perfectly good existing channels (bug tracker and existing module-based forums)

Could someone please clarify for me that I am using these correctly big grin

I tend to put feature requests in the appropriate forum and then if there is support I try and raise it in the bug tracker. I then post the forum post in the bug tracker and then post a reply in the forum with the bug number.

Is that OK or is there a better way to do it?

I agree with WP about things getting lost in the bug tracker - especially feature requests.

Hey Martin, while we are waiting for flags on forum posts how about a features request forum in the meantime evil big grin

In reply to Darren Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
> I tend to put feature requests in the appropriate forum and then if there is support I try and raise it in the bug tracker. I then post the forum post in the bug tracker and then post a reply in the forum with the bug number.

Yes, that's great, that is the best way currently for the people who are able to actually do something about it to see the ideas and absorb it into their thinking. You're someone who has been making an effort to actually help developers recently, thank you.

It's important to keep in mind with all this stuff that just because one person or even a few people have an interface idea it doesn't mean it will magically happen. Coming up with ideas for improvement is easy (the tracker is full of them, and I have at least five more a day) and many of them are quite obvious once you use Moodle day to day.

It's much harder to roll out a coherent package with a growth path, and there are many complex dependencies (technical, organisational, social, political, philosophical, financial) which are unseen to users. Amazing stuff goes on for developers at different levels which hopefully I will be able to describe in the final chapter of my thesis when I get back to it sometime in August.

The interface is the most important thing to keep in mind because to most users what they see *is* Moodle. It's so important there are dozens of forums for it in this course (purposefully named Using Moodle) covering every aspect. It's crystal-clear to me that WP's bandwagon or a feature request forum would only duplicate what we have already and make it even harder for developers to actually implement ideas (yes, by writing code).

by Darren Smith -

Thanks for the nice, helpful reply smile

With regards to your last paragraph, the addtional forum would create duplication but that is going on already with the bug tracker. I am just going along the lines of seperating out feature requests from the bug tracker and putting them in a forum to allow more discussion of new features and bug tracker to report bugs but it doesn't make that much difference to me as long as you're happy big grin

On that theme, it would be nice if / when flags are introduced to forums to build in an agree/disagree type vote feature to the post with a graphical represenation (I'm thinking like choice) and that would also help cut out a lot of 'me too' traffic and possibly encourage people who don't discuss issues to participate.

On the theme of information duplication .. did you get my email? Just checking it was noticed and, as I think I said in it, I'm not expecting a reply to be your top priority at the mo wink

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

by Martin Dougiamas -
Nope, didn't see it, but have now, thanks.

Think not so much feature vs bug as "loose free-ranging discussion" vs "status tracking".
In reply to Darren Smith

by N Hansen -
In defense of the bug tracker, it is designed so as to make sure things don't get lost. If they are in there, they aren't lost, but you can't always expect them to be dealt with immediately.

I've been using the bug tracker myself since perhaps September and while some of my bugs have been addressed immediately, others have taken time, and there still are others outstanding.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into deciding which bugs get addressed first and that they are all valid. We all know how busy Martin is and I have noticed that bugs that get assigned to him generally take longer (he's got about half closed and half open bugs), but that is OK with me. Specific modules that have a person solely responsible for that module tend to get their bugs addressed much faster. And who knows, you might find your bugs addressed faster than you even see as necessary. I recently submitted one as lowest priority and the programmers were all over it immediately. And I get the sense things are being read as they come in, even if they are not acted upon immediately. If it is not a bug after all, Martin is more likely to tell you that right away, if it is truly a bug, then it will get fixed fairly fast, much faster than he is going to be able to implement a new feature request. And that is the way it should be.
In reply to W Page

by Samuli Karevaara -
W Page, I understand that you're asking for this / these kinds of things. But I also agree with Martin that the usability is touching everything in Moodle and therefore is already discussed in a lot of places. Mostly in the module forums, where they belong. The Themes forum might be a place to raise issues dealing with the standard theme, for example. Another place for overall changes is the general developers forum.

What you and others conserned about the usability of Moodle could do, is to have a real usability study of Moodle. If possible, with real courses and real students. Study the students, make them say out loud what they are thinking while trying to accomplish tasks in Moodle and so on. This would make the bulk of comments to touch the existing issues instead of having a bulleted list of improvement ideas after a brainstorming session. These new ideas are usually not tested against anything real, so they might require a lot of work but might give nothing.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)