Error message after making entering and saving a new glossary item

Error message after making entering and saving a new glossary item

by Marilyn Komarnisky -
Number of replies: 6

Can anyone tell me why when I click "Save" after creating a new glossaryentry I get the following error message?  This problem of returning to the entry page does not happen in the Question Bank area when I hit Save Changes so I don't think any of the 3 reasons given in this error message apply.Screenshot of error messageSSo, I can't figure out why I am being blocked to returning to the Glossary Entry page like this.  Our administrator has no idea eithermixed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marilyn Komarnisky

Re: Error message after making entering and saving a new glossary item

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Marilyn, please provide more information.

Which exact version of Moodle are you using?

Have you recently upgraded your moodle to a newer version?

Does this problem happen all the time? or have you been able to enter some definitions in your glossary/ies at all?

If the problem happens only from time to time, it's up to you to track what kind of text you enter in your glossary which cause the problem to appear. I hope you never ever copy-paste text (from MS Word or from Web pages) into your glossary entries.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Marilyn Komarnisky -

Thank you for your reply.  I thought I had posted that I'm on version 2.0 but alas I see I did not - apologies.

This is not a sometimes thing.  It is happening with every new entry to the glossary with all users.  As you can see in the screen shot, Moodle  redirects me to www.view.pnp but that URL does not exist, hence the "cannot find server" message occurs.  What I, nor our administrator, can figure out is why the program is trying to send us there after we save an entry instead of to the proper URL which should be:http://felabs.gotdns.org/feu/mod/glossary/view.php?id=39.  For some reason Moodle is truncating the url.  Hitting save after making an entry in the Question Bank does take us back to right page so this is something only happening in Glossary.

Any thoughts??

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

1.- Is this a brand-new installation of Moodle? Have you ever managed to save new Glossary entries on your moodle site?

2.- Try to enable debugging and see if you get more error info.

Joseph

by Marilyn Komarnisky -

Thank you Joseph.  This is a fairly new installation, about 2 months old and this is the first Glossary we have done.  The entries actually do get saved despite the error message I showed you.  What I have to do is hit the back arrow in the top left of the error page which gets me back to the page of my last entry.  I then go to the side left panel and hit the name of the glossary.  This will get me back to the main glossary page where I can select to make a new entry.  Somehow in that whole process the entries are getting saved; I just have to go through a convoluted process to get back to the glossary home page - the built-in redirect doesn't work.  I will talk to the admin about enabling debug and see what we can find out.

by Joseph Rézeau -

If this is a new installation I'm surprised that you did not go straight for the latest version available, i.e. 2.1 instead of older 2.0.

by Marilyn Komarnisky -

Wasn't my decision to make, unfortunately.