Theme Troubles

Theme Troubles

by Gilbert Blankenship -
Number of replies: 3

Tonight I thought I would scroll through the installed themes to see if one looked nicer than the default installed theme.  Our set of themes is limited to those delivered in the base installation package for MOODLE.

I selected one or two and then decided to just return to the Standard theme.  But - when I did all of the navigation in all of the Blocks turned to strict HTML links which are double printing  on top of each other - as opposed to Expandable action arrows, or drop downs.

I have tried a couple times to get back to the original settings without success.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  Its a pretty big mess.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gilbert Blankenship

Re: Theme Troubles

by Gilbert Blankenship -

Additional information on this.

Before leaving lastnight I attempted numerous theme changes in an attempt to resolve this.  Every theme selected had the same issue:

1. Graphics would not display
  2. Block CSS navigation was replaced with a straight list of hyperlinked text (no ability to collapse or expand)
  3. Block navigation text was printing over the top of itself.
This morning I garnerd the aid of another SysAdmin (How many MCSEs does it take to ...?)
One thing we did notice was that while in this state I was able to successfully upload images.  Prior to this system state the system would respond that JPEGs, GIFs, PNGs (etc) could not be accepted.
The downside was that once they were loaded the system would NOT display them.
We returned to the Theme issue.
Attempt to change theme.  Theme selector shows new theme selected, and applied - but the Theme wasn't appearing (we were stuck on Afterburner).
We cleared cache (numerous times)
We cleared theme cache (numerous times)
We attempted restarting the server
Suddently, one of the themes did apply.  YAY! Back to the Standard theme.  Alas, now I cannot load images again (not supported).
It appears to me at this point that something in the combination of:
- Redhat
- Moodle 2.0
- Themes (when properly applied)
- Mozilla
Is blocking the upload of images but allowing previously uploaded images to display.
Once the Theme is broken, not fully applied (etc) - images can be uploaded but not displayed.
I can't even begin to think about how to replicate this issue.
Has anyone else experienced this?
In reply to Gilbert Blankenship

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

No I haven't experienced anything like that, but it strikes me that if you are also having issues with uploading images then this is more likely to indicate a problem with your moodle installation rather than the themes, possibly with permissions on the server?

I use both Ubuntu and CentOS (ie a redhat derivative) to run 2 local host moodle installations (1 directly in LAMP on my ubuntu laptop and 1 as a home CentOS webserver for development purposes). I have succesfully run Moodle1.9.x, 2.0.x and 2.1 with many different themes, from core, moodle database and my own, and I use Mozilla Firefox as my standard browser. So I don't believe its the combination you've stated itself, although whether the configuration of one of the elements is out (eg. permissions on the installation folders possibly)

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Also Gilbert,

You may want to shift this query to the installation/themes forums as the social forum is intended primarily for social/general discussions rather than technical enquiries which can all be dealt with more speedily in their appropriate forum.

Richard