Adding a New Resource or Activity Box To A Book

Adding a New Resource or Activity Box To A Book

by Helen Shearman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi! When I open up my class page and turn editing on, there are drop down menus at the bottom of each section which allow you to add a resource and activity.

However, when you then set up a Book and edit the pages within the book, these drop down menus are no longer available. It would be really useful to be able to set up an assignment or forum that the students can click on within the book to upload their work and add posts etc.

I hope that someone will be able to help and suggest how you can add this.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Shearman

Re: Adding a New Resource or Activity Box To A Book

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. If I read you right, you want to use the pages of a book (because you think they look nice) but you want links inside the book to forums or assignments? Well if you make the assignment lower down in your Moodle course and then click on it -and copy its URL that appears in the webbrowser, you can then go back to the page in your book and use the hyperlink icon to link to that assignment. Make it open in a new window  for the students.

It's not ideal -they might get a bit lost in the navigation - but it is worth a trysmile

In reply to Helen Shearman

Re: Adding a New Resource or Activity Box To A Book

by Floyd Saner -

Helen,

Moodle does not permit the addition of resources and activities to a Book resource or to a new Moodle page.  I believe a good course design has all assignments and forums available on the front page so they are not hidden or embedded in other objects. 

However, any resource or activity you create in a course has a web url.  So you can do what you want to do - cross link to an assignment or forum.

1. Create an assignment or forum in the standard manner.

2. Right-click on the link to the assignment or forum and copy the link location.  This usually works - if not, open the assignment or forum and copy the resulting link that appears in your browser address bar.

3. Go to the Book you are creating.  Add text, such as "Upload your assignment here."  Select the text and click on the editor link icon (chain link).  Paste the copied url in the link box.

Floyd Saner