National seminar on Open Source: Opportunities in entrepreneurship Ver 2.0

National seminar on Open Source: Opportunities in entrepreneurship Ver 2.0

by Gaurav Parashar -
Number of replies: 3

Open Source software is catching fancy of millions of technocrats around the world. A lot of emphasis is being laid on developing applications based on Open Source, which are either free or are available at nominal costs. This is coming out as a big opportunity to developers and users alike. It is estimated that by 2015, Open Source Market will assume 37% market share of overall development scenario. This needs for deep introspection both at micro and macro level so that the true potential of Open Source can be explored and entrepreneurs are prepared with right mindsets.

INMANTEC had successfully organized first seminar on “Open Source: Opportunities in Entrepreneurship” on March 13, 2010. This seminar was a huge attraction among open source professionals and budding entrepreneurs. The glimpse of the same can be accessed from here.

Keeping the same fervor, INMANTEC is organizing second seminar in this series entitled “Open Source: Opportunities in Entrepreneurship Ver 2.0” on February 15, 2012 at INMANTEC, Ghaziabad.

Through this seminar, we wish to address following issues impeding growth of entrepreneurs in Open Source:

• Entrepreneurship through open source
  • Capital for entrepreneurship venture on open source
  • Marketing of open source products & services
  • Customization of open source software

To provide hands on experience in different technologies, we will be conducting workshops on different open source technologies:-

1. Spoken Tutorial [ Free Workshop ].
  2. Open Source OS: Ubuntu ( A Separate session on Ubuntu for Schools. )
  3. Game development using Open Source.
  4. Content management using Wordpress
  5. Open Source ERP.
  6. Moodle 2.0: A Course Management System
  7. Android Apps Development.
  8. Open Java [ Free Workshop ]
  9. Library Automation using NewGenLib

For more information please connect to http://inmantec.edu/os2012

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gaurav Parashar

Re: National seminar on Open Source: Opportunities in entrepreneurship Ver 2.0

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Gaurav,

It looks like an interesting seminar. The concept of open source is basically a legal framework of copyright (or copyleft) definitions that enables anyone to use, adapt and redistribute freely and without any restrictions: http://www.opensource.org/osd.html

I think it's imperative that anyone embarking on an open source project or uses code from open source projects understands the legal responsibilities and implications before they invest time and effort in them. It's a fundamentally different model. I think a lot of people from more traditional business backgrounds would have difficulties understanding how all this works, I've certainly had some quizzical looks and incredulous responses when I've tried to describe the open source concept.

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Gaurav Parashar -

Hii Matt,

This is true that defining open source to traditional business background guys is not an easy thing to do. Thats why i took a different strategy. I am promoting open source with students of information technology and management stream. In addition to it i also networked with a non-profit organization NITEE(Network of ICT entrepreneurs & enterprises. They will help students in developing their project and solve their queries with som ehand holding. How students can get government grants for the same. The seminar will also focus on these points too.

Target Audience: Management, Computer Science and Information Technology students.

Sessions:

• Entrepreneurship through open source.
  • Capital for entrepreneurship venture on open source.
  • Marketing of open source products & services.
  • Customization of open source software
In reply to Gaurav Parashar

by George Nielsen -

Entrepreneurship through open source - I think Wordpress is one of the pioneers in this area. Some may think "a free open platform - what kind of business model is that?".But as it's developer network has grown exponentially, the use of it's CMS being widely used, and sites such as CNN.com using it's blogging functionality - it's proven to be the leader in CMS. Joomla, Magento, Drupal... these all have their uses, but not the same appeal.

Using coders myself, it's often easy to "clone" wordpress designs or sites - wandering into the violation of copyright that was mentioned. Either way - sound like a great event, please keep us posted!

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove links; please see our policy on advertising - original submission Wednesday, 26 October 2011, 08:04 AM)