Updated Collapsed Topics & Weeks

Updated Collapsed Topics & Weeks

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear all,

Collapsed Topics and Weeks is now fully available in the new superb modules and plugins databasehttp://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_topcollhttp://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_weekcoll.  If you wish to follow the latest version of each branch, hosting of the format is now on GitHub @ https://github.com/gjb2048 - so you can maintain your own version with your own modifications and still keep in line with developments following the 'Git' distributed source code methodology.

For users of Moodle 2.1, please download the new specific version due to changes caused by MDL-29188.

For developers of Moodle 2.2 please use the Moodle 2.1 version.

Cheers,

Gareth

Developer of Collapsed Topics / Weeks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Updated Collapsed Topics & Weeks

by JM Ferring -

Hi,

I only wanted to tell you that the drag and drop block is not working with the collapsed topics course format.

Thanks.

In reply to JM Ferring

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear JM,

Currently, the Drag and Drop does not work for me in IE9 but that appeared to happen with the standard topics formats to - please see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187406.  I thought it was just me.

There are currently three versions of Collapsed Topics for Moodle (1.9, 2.0 and 2.1) and many supported browsers.  Please could you be more specific and provide more information so I am able to narrow down your issue.

Regards,

Gareth

by JM Ferring -

Hello Gareth,

You are wright, drag and drop block does not work on IE.

I'using Moodle 2.1.2+ (Build: 20111012) with your collapsed topics course format for 2.1 moodle. My browser is Firefox 6.0.

Moving (Drag and drop) of resources/activities from one topic to the other within the same course is working in with the collapsed topic format.

The drag and drop block is working with standard topic course format, but not with the collapsed topic course format. So you can't drag and drop stuff from outside moodle into the course.

Best regards,

JM Ferring

In reply to JM Ferring

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

Thank you for the information.  I'm not familiar with 'drag and drop' from outside Moodle - is this a new standard feature or an add on plugin?  Please would you be so kind as to elaborate.

Regards,

Gareth

by JM Ferring -

Dear Gareth,

It's a plugin - you find it in the blocks section of the plugin database. You can use it to fill your course by drag and droping files (from desktop,...) to the course.

BTW: it does not work not with IE, but it works on firefox and chrome.

Regards,

JM

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

I've done some investigation, and do you mean 'http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Drag_and_drop_upload_block'? As it says it's only been tested with the standard 'Topics' format.

Cheers,

Gareth

by JM Ferring -

Right, didn't read this in the plugin section.

Sorry for bothering you.

Regards,

JM

In reply to JM Ferring

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

No apology required.  I would rather know and understand how to make my format compatibile with other blocks or request slight changes in other blocks to cope with my code.

Cheers,

Gareth

by JM Ferring -

Thanks.

BTW: Love your collapsed topics course format. smile

In reply to JM Ferring

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

Thank you smile.

I've had a quick look at dndupload.js for the drag and drop block and line 32 looks like an indicator of the issue 'var els = document.getElementsByTagName('li');' which is used in the same light elsewhere.  Collapsed Topics uses tables instead of unordered lists only because of IE.  I tried to get it to work with ul's and li's but could never do so, spending the same amount of time trying to fix IE issues as everything else (development + testing) for all of the other browsers (both on Windows and Ubuntu) combined.

Maybe oneday when Mircrosoft create a proper browser this can be fixed.  But I'll look into the dnd code to see if I can find a fix that works in both Topics and Collapsed Topics formats.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

Please find attached a changed 'dndupload.js' to try that will work with both Topics and Collapsed Topics.  Please let me know how you get on.

There are some commented out 'alerts' I used in debugging.  The key change is on line 32.  There was also a bug in the function 'getmodselement' where 'sectionel' was not defined and should have been 'section'.

If all is well, I will request the change on the original author.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

Davo Smith has now updated the 'master' branch of Drag and Drop Upload for Moodle 2.0+ on 'https://github.com/davosmith/moodle-block_dndupload' so will now work with Collapsed Topics for Moodle 2.1 (and should do with Moodle 2.0) - I just need to check the Moodle 1.9 version.

Cheers,

Gareth

by JM Ferring -

Dear Gareth,

I will update my test-site and report back asap.

Thanks.

In reply to JM Ferring

by JM Ferring -

Dear Gareth,

Collapsed topics and drag and drop block work together, great.

Thanks also to Davo Smith.

Regards,

JM

In reply to JM Ferring

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear JM,

Thank you for testing and letting me know.  I've done a GitHub Pull request Moodle 1.9 version on Davo.  Please PM me if you need the code.

Cheers,

Gareth