Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 4

Greetings - I am in Moodle 1.9 and I have our operational installation of Moodle and a test site.  I am testing a plug-in and I wish to restore a course from our main site onto the test site.  I created a backup of the course, clicked on the backup and used "Save Target As" to save the backup to my desktop.  In the test site I opened an course and used restore - found the zip on my desktop.  I am getting an error "required parameter "id" is missing" and the following:

This course is very large - with SCORM files and a very large question bank - if that makes a difference. 

I appreciate any help and quidance in solving this problem. 

Thank you - Nancy K. Hoke Khalifa University, Abu Dhabi UAE

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Backup and Restore

by james mergenthaler -

Nancy - a good technique to help solve this problem would be to create another backup, but with lesser data, like ommitting the question bank questions. Then, try restoring that backup just the same way you did.  If the error continues, try another backup with less data, restore it. Repeat that process until the restore works, then you know where the problem is, at least what part of the data is having trouble restoring.

Be sure you have the same moodle version in both instances. 

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by james mergenthaler -

Nancy - check to ensure the PHP version is the same between the moodle instances too, those are PHP errors and may have nothing to to with the actual restore file...those are core php files that are complaining.

If you turn on robust debugging on your test server  Site Admin | Server | Debugging | Developer -  that may give your a bit more information about the error. 

The *additional information would be in the site log, probably located at c:\logs\sitename_error.log - scroll to the bottom of the file.

In reply to james mergenthaler

by Nancy K Hoke -

Thank you so very much - excellent information.  Nancy K.