Setting Up a WebDAV Repository | Moodle 2.0

Setting Up a WebDAV Repository | Moodle 2.0

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 4

I'd like to set up a WebDAV repository, so that I can upload bigger files more quickly and more easily to Moodle.

There are instructions at:

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/WebDAV_Setup

...Which say:

To set up WebDAV access in your Moodle installation:

• In Admin->Server->WebDAV Set webdavenable to Yes.

...but it's actually in Settings>Site Administration>Plugins>Repositories>Manage Repositories.

Then it says:

Note: For the WebDAV feature to work, the PHP setting magic_quotes_gpc must be off.

Errm ...what does this mean and how do I do it? mixed

Both the help page above and Alex Büchner's good book Moodle Administration (Packt 2009) give instructions for how to set WebDAV up on a Windows server, but not a Linux one (as recommended for Moodle).

Where can I get clear, simple, up-to-date instructions for setting up WebDAV?

Any advice gratefully received. Kind thanks in advance. sleepy

François.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Setting Up a WebDAV Repository | Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Thanks for the heads up about the outdated docs -I have changed the words but actually webdav in 2.0 should take you to http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/WebDAV_repository here instead - not that it says much more I'm afraid.

I am not a technical person so I haven't a clue about setting it up - however - I have yet to find someone who has successfully got webdav working on 2.0 and when I do I shall beg them to document it for the rest of us smile (Successful webdavvers -are you there?)

In reply to Francois Evans

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Turning on WebDAV in Moodle won't actually 'turn on' WebDAV ... that's an operating system thang (as you've discovered).  While setting up WebDAV in a Linux server is similar among the Linux distributions, there are some differences.  Thus one would have to be specific about what operating system - which, in Moodle forums, seems NOT to be a recommended practice.

So, before pursuing specifics, suggest Googling for: WebDAV [operating system of your server] ... WebDAV CentOS or WebDAV Ubuntu Server etc..

WebDAV CentOS: http://bit.ly/pBZ0iq

If remotely hosted, contact your provider or check out their FAQ's/customer forums, etc..

Found this Googling for WebDAV SiteGround:

"Unfortunately, we do not support the WebDAV protocol. Instead please reconfigure your FrontPage according the tutorial on the URL below ..."

Due to the nature of WebDAV, have a feeling that many providers may NOT support on shared systems and cautious about it on dedicated systems as well.  It will mean more server administration.

2 cent opinion ... 'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Francois Evans -

Thank you Ken. Certainly contacting the hosting server people should help.

Have actually managed to get an FTP connection rolling. tongueout

My next challenge is to confront the User directory-naming vs. Moodle directory naming divide. angry

François.