Administrative Backup Practice

Administrative Backup Practice

by Michael Scalero -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

Not sure if this was the best forum to post this...

I was curious how you guys handle admin backups? We are hosted by MRooms have spec'd out a server for MRooms hosting for 300 gigs, and we are finding that the 300gig spec also included the space which administrative backups take up space, thus we are well over our limit.

What practices do schools use the keep backups which conserving space (whether hosted or not) as well as bandwidth if your moving large volumes around?

I am also finding backups in 1.9 seem to run a little inefficiently, I am interested in backing up certain categories/terms, not all the courses on the server, but there does not seem to be an option for this?

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Scalero

Re: Administrative Backup Practice

by Ann Adamcik -

We do the following:

1. Instructors are responsible for making individual course backups, and storing those files on their own computers or media.

2. Each night, we do a site backup - dump the database, gzip the db backup file, and our IT folks then copy the moodle directory, the moodledata directory, and the db backup to tape.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Dennis Herrick -

I'm trying to do this also, but can someone explain "dump the database"? 

It's mentioned quite often but how does one actually do it?

In reply to Dennis Herrick

by Ann Adamcik -

"Dump the database" means to create a database backup that can later be restored. How you do it depends on which server and database you are using. We are using mysql on linux, and we backup the database with mysqldump.

There's some general information here - http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Site_backup - and you might also refer to your database documentation.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Dennis Herrick -

Thanks for the reply. I'm on Windows Server 2003 (Moodle 1.99) and am pretty sure it's MySql.

I'll read up on the link above

In reply to Dennis Herrick

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not sure what Windows Server uses for its backup, but.. if you are using MySQL then you may want to consider using phpMyAdmin. The ease of use inherent in the GUI allows you to select the type of backup you want. It also allows for a considerably less dramatic restoration process if you need one.