Glossaries and multiple languages

Glossaries and multiple languages

by Francis Burns -
Number of replies: 0

For several yeaers, I have been using moodle for my college courses outside of my university's courseware package.  I like moodle, but I don't have an "IT" department to answer my questions.  Please assist me, if you can.  I am using Moodle version 1.9.7 (upgraded my moodle in August 2010).  I want my students to build an analytical chemistry glossary as a collaborative activity.  The language of instruction is English, but the students' native language is either Kurdish or Arabic.  I plan to evaluate their definitions in English, but would like to permit them to add Kurdish or Arabic definitions.  

My current version seems incapable of doing this.  I can paste arabic script into the definitions box during the "edit" phase, but the script is displayed as a series of "?" after finishing the editing.  I tried different formats: moodle auto format, html, plain text, and markdown format.  Nothing works!

First, I would like to know if I can have a glossary that mixes languages in the definition portion.  If so, how would I do this?  Second, I can see that incorporating different script into glossaries seems reoccur regularly.  Is there any documentation that discusses this issue?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -