Can't Edit Topic Summary

Can't Edit Topic Summary

by Roger Shindell -
Number of replies: 8

Well I pulled a bone head move.  I was free texting some html code into my topic summary, adding an email link and I included the edit icon in the link.  so now I can't get back to the edit screen to fix my mistake.  when I click on the edit icon, it launches my email client!

Btw I'm using ver 1.9.

Can someone tell me what might be the address to the php, when I plug in the address I see in my browser address bar, into my html editor, all I get is the login page.  Or can someone tell me how I can delete the one topic from my course, so I can recover?

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated

I know better than to do what I did, without a backup but ....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Shindell

Re: Can't Edit Topic Summary

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Roger,

Firstly see if the original editing URL is in your web browser's history.

Secondly if you phpMyAdmin, see if you can access the database directly and look for the offending code and delete it from the appropriate table.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try clicking another topic summary edit icon in the same course -going to that screen and then changing the number at the end until you get back to the edit screen that you accidentally corrupted. http://www.moodleblog.net/?p=161

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Aren't you the usefully clever responder?

I would refine your method by saying, click on the topic summary edit icon below the one that is messed up. Change the number at the end to one less.

Because, it looks to me like the sections are numbered in sequence within a course.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Roger Shindell -

Afternoon Ben,

Good thought, but not really the case.  Went down that road, and could't find any rhyme or reason to the numbering.  While the sections are numbered, in mycase, 1 to 12, the internal number were in the 60's and 80's.  It would have taken some trial and error, but the url was luckley retained in my browser history,

by ben reynolds -

Right, Roger. The sections in the classroom are numbered from 1 to 12, but the id number is going to be something like 19732 thru 19744 (which is 12 increments). You just change the id # to one less than whatever is at the end of the URL.

This being the decade of the database, I'm teaching myself the secrets behind the user interface smile

In reply to ben reynolds

by Roger Shindell -

Thanks Ben,

Me too.  I'm learning more about cpanel and Aptana and mysql than I thought I ever would

by ben reynolds -

And we'll be better men for it!

Now to eat my spinachsmile