New marking block attached :-)

New marking block attached :-)

by Darren Smith -
Number of replies: 30
I had been struggling to keep track of marking and resubmissions across my courses so I asked around and Mike Churchward offered to help.

He implemented an idea I had for a marking block which shows teachers which assignments are ungraded, which have been resubmitted, who still owes work and those below a configurable percentage threshold. We have found that this marking block is one of the most important parts of our installation. It means you can get feedback to students very quickly whereas before it was easily missed.

Click here for the original discussion and a mock up.

Mike also incorporated a new marking page which he had done for another client which makes the whole process inredibly efficient. It all also works with echo-assignment cool. I believe it works with journal and forum but I have not tested this fully yet.

See attachment and enjoy. It will also be in cvs/contrib under the name block_marking.

We cannot recommend Mike highly enough as a developer. He did exactly what we needed, exactly to the budget and in the required time scale. He was also very patient with problems on our end.

I would be interested in comments which would go towards the future development of this mini project.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: New marking block attached :-)

by N Hansen -
Will it also work with quiz and lesson as well? It would be really nice if this would work with all forms of student activities. Also, it would be nice to have an alternative view to this block-where you could view which assignments a particular student had completed.
In reply to N Hansen

by Darren Smith -
Thanks for the reply.

It will not currently work with quiz or lesson. The idea was to show the teacher what marking they had to do and (I think) currently quiz and the official lesson does not need marking (I could be wrong).

That said, it looks like a new quiz and lesson will include short answers to be marked by the teacher so it is something I will want to include in the near future.

I hadn't thought of a view completed assignments option thoughtful

Thanks for the feedback
In reply to Darren Smith

by Michael Penney -
Hi Darren, lesson in 1.5 has essay questions that await marking.

Also, we're going to get our question_type essay going in 1.5.

It would be cool if when you all update this for 1.5, there was some sort of 'plug-in' architecture by which a new question type in quiz or a new or optional graded module could send a message to the block when it needs marking?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Darren Smith -
Interesting thought. Very interesting.

There may well be a lot more types of assignment appear becase of it's new structure and it would be awkward to have to upgrade this block every time.

I will add this to my list of things to look at approve
In reply to N Hansen

by W Page -
Hi Darren!

Thanks for your involment with this.  I believe this has been something Teachers have wanted for a while now.

Will definately check this block out. 

Does it work with v1.4.3 & v1.5?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Darren Smith -
Thanks for the support W Page. It's certainly something which was has been requested a quite a bit.

It works with 1.4.3 as that's what I have it running on smile

I haven't actually tried it on 1.5 but there are issues there anyway. Updating the block if needed seems fairly straight forward but Martin has indicated a new plug-in style assignment which could appear in 1.5 and that has not yet been integrated in this. I will get it upgraded to work with 1.5 where needed but, tempting as it is, we are going to hold off from upgrading our moodle until at least the Easter break.

BTW, no files or database tables are altered - it just sits there independently so it wont interfere with anything else.
In reply to Darren Smith

by Darren Smith -
I have just tried it and no, it will not work in 1.5

We will look at getting this sorted sometime after the 1.5 release (unless Martin adds this block/similar into the official release himself).
In reply to Darren Smith

by W Page -
Hi Darren!

Thanks for the follow-up on that.  Again, really neat work! smile big grin

WP1
In reply to Darren Smith

by Tom Murdock -
Big, big kudos for this block.  A GREAT resource for teachers to find work that is incomplete.  I recommend this to everyone!

Would be equally cool to have a version for students, so that they could check to see if they have completed tasks.  This made it easy for me to stroll through a very big class this weekend and find the grading that I had missed before.

Thanks, Darren and Mike!

-Tom

p.s. I'd love to see this further developed.
In reply to Tom Murdock

by W Page -
QUOTE:  Tom Murdock
"p.s. I'd love to see this further developed."

Yep!! big grin

WP1
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Darren Smith -
Thanks for your kind words.

A student version is on my list for future development (funding permitting big grin). I was thinking of possibly showing them overdue, total late (a tally for work already submitted after the deadline), resubmission requests and upcoming (user defined x weeks). I have lots of other ideas for the student block but will discuss them another time,.

When I first installed the block it was very interesting to see how much marking I had missed because I didn't have an overview. Impossible to create the perfect social environment if you are missing work which they have spent time completing. The same must be true for students. It must also be easy for them to miss work after it falls off the recent activity / upcoming events.

I'd love to see this further developed.

Do you have anything specific in mind for marking?

I was also considering a front page version (which would only display marking for a teacher's courses with certain groups rather than the whole course) and a 'reminder' button on the marking page which emails (and possibly moodle IM) a message to those listed as overdue

Of course, this is all just thinking aloud at the moment but that's how things start approve.

Anyone any other ideas for marking??
In reply to Darren Smith

by Philip Edwards -

We have found this marking block to be a great asset.  I found an issue that I am not sure how to resolve.  I had downloaded a mod to the Assignment module that allows you to select whether it will be an Assignment or an Echo assignment.  Well with this module mod when you view assignments from the marking module they appear as Assignments even if they are really Echo Assignments.  I know it's a small detail but I am not sure how to fix it.  If I go back to the original Assignment Block then Echo Assignments don't appear in the Calendar (which is another issue altogether).  I am not sure if these are actual bugs since both of these are mods but if they are going to be in 1.5 they would need to somehow work together.

In reply to Philip Edwards

by Darren Smith -
Hello

I'm glad you like the marking block approve.

I think I saw the hack you refer to but I didn't try it myself. Without the hack you describe it should (does) work fine with assignment and echo assignment. With the hack installed then the best way to resolve this would be to seek out Mike Churchward who wrote the marking block for us. It is important to note that we paid him to do this block for us. I'm sure he would be happy to make the relevant changes and the whole thing was inexpensive so a minor modification may not cost that much. He may be able to offer advice out of the goodness of his heart but it's easy to forget that these guys are trying to make a living (I wouldn't teach in a classroom for free).

That said, I am anticipating (hoping) echo-assignment functionality (upload feedback file) will be part of the new standard assignment so running both mods side by side would not be needed. Either way, the current marking block will not work with 1.5 but will be upgraded some point after things have been finalised with the code.

Hope that (kind of) helps!!!!
In reply to Darren Smith

by Philip Edwards -
Thanks yes that helps I will probably reload the regular assignment for now.  I have some programmers where I work and I will see if we can get it to work on my test server.  I'm just not sure how marking block retrieves assignments and why they appear different when retrieved thru marking block than when you go directly to assignments.  It's not that I'd mind seeing about getting funding I just feel with 1.5 really close at hand it may make sense to wait for the dust to settle.  Thanks again this really is a great feature I hope it gets incorporated in 1.5.
In reply to Philip Edwards

by Darren Smith -
I agree that if you wish to use the marking block in 1.4.x then having assignment and echo-assignment as seperate entities is the way to go - it's probably not worth messing about with it too much as those changes may be quickly obsolete. That said, if anyone does then please share approve

As for 1.5 incorporation, there was a feature freeze ages ago and nobody official expressed any desire to include it so it being part of an official release is a long way off. I hope to secure funding to improve it to a stage where it could be considered.

I am writing up a list of things to do so any feature requests / improvements for My Marking would be very welcome and may stand a chance of inclusion in the 1.5 release of the block.

Regards

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
Hi there,

This is simply a great block and something my teachers have been needing for a long time. Being a foreign (icelandic) user I would like to see more translation strings. I also think this block would be very valuable to students to track their studying. It would be just perfect if they could get a quick overview of their assignments status in all enrolled courses when they log in.

I'm hoping you will upgrade this block to 1.5. It's a must smile

regards,
S.Fjalar
In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Darren Smith -
Hello. Thanks for your supportive words. I am glad people are finding this useful. We find it essential and we are only going to be able to upgrade to moodle 1.5 when we have had the marking block upgraded so we have the motivation to do it big grin. Just waiting for a stable 1.5 really before we embark.

As for language strings, I have had no need to use these but I have made a note of this in my things to improve list. Do you have any specific requests regarding this or is it just a general observation? If you (or anyone else) have a language file you wish to make available I I can include it in the next release.

If anyone has any requests for the next version of My Marking then please let me know and I'll try and add them to my list and we'll see how it goes.

Talking about my improvements list: Yes, I already have sketched requirements for a students version which would show things like total overdue, total lates, resubmission requests (possibly) and more. This is high up on the things I want / need but we'll have to see how much money I have versus how much all of my requirements will cost! Knowing how much the marking block has increased my efficiency then it makes sense to provide the same kind of overview for the students. Anyone got similar already available?

Regards

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jesse Thorstad -
Yowza! This is exactly what I have been hoping to find. Thanks for sharing it!

I downloaded and installed it this morning. The block is showing me the unmarked assignments.

When I go to the marking page and try to assign scores, however, they don't save. If I click Save Feedback, the page refreshes, but nothing changes. No changes are being made in the DB. If I go in and save feedback the "old fashioned" way, that saves correctly.

Can you think of something I may have set up incorrectly?

Regards,

Jesse
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

by Darren Smith -
Glad you like the idea but I am puzzled as to why it is not working for you. The only thing I can think of is you have found a bug that I have not come across before because of differences in our assignment settings mixed

Can I ask:
  • which version of moodle are you using?
  • are you using groups in the course?
  • what are you using as grading criteria?
  • are we talking standard assignment or echo-assignment or both?
  • how are you trying to assign the scores in the marking page?

Darren thoughtful
In reply to Darren Smith

by Jesse Thorstad -
Thanks for getting back to me, Darren!

1. Version 1.4.3.

2. NOT using groups. Is that the problem?

3. Not completely sure what you mean...but I've tried scoring a variety of assignments, ranging in point values from 5 pts. to 20 pts.

4. Standard assignments

5.On the Marking page, the Unmarked First Submissions show at the top, and below are students who have already been marked. Their marks show up as they should.

I am assigning a point value in the Feedback: dropdown menu. The proper scale for the assignment shows.

I can type a few comments as well.

Then, I click Save Feedback next to one of the students' names. (Each student has a Save Feedback button, by the way.)

The page what appears to be a quick refresh, and nothing has changed. The Feedback dropdown for each unmarked student reverts to No Grade.

If I go into the Moodle built-in assignment scoring pages and score there, and come back to the Marking page, the changes show as expected.

I just seems as though anything I submit from the Marking page doesn't get posted to the DB.

I can live without it, but it would be oh, so sweet if it worked! Any ideas?

Regards,

jesse
In reply to Jesse Thorstad

by Darren Smith -
Strange thoughtful

I just installed it on a vanilla moodle 1.4.3 from cvs and marked a piece of work without groups no problem so it can't be that.
I also tried various different max marks and that was fine!
You are marking them correctly so it can't be that.

Are you just using one course or many? Is it the same across all courses?

Is your moodle on the web? Perhaps you could create a blank course and temporarily assign me as teacher for that one course? I suspect I will get the same result as you but you never know.

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Simon Billington -
Darren

I have the same problem as Jesse.  Installed onto a vanilla 1.4.4 locally no problem, works like a dream.  Tried it on my web and no luck.  Page refreshes but no feedback saved.  Give feedback not using the mark book and it works fine.  Could there be a problem with my server hosting or permissions on the web host?

Simon
In reply to Simon Billington

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi -

I apologize. Darren just alerted me to this issue.

I'm guessing that you have secure_forms configured to 'on'. I duplicated the issue with that condition.

I have attached a zip file that can patch the problem. Unzip the three files contained there into your '/blocks/marking' directory. It should solve the problem.

These files have also been committed to CVS if you want to get them there.

mike
In reply to Darren Smith

by Julian Ridden -

Looks great. Would love to see a 1.5 version availabale if anyone has the skills to convert it.

I echo the sentiments of others...thanks for sharing

In reply to Darren Smith

by Marc Hawes -

I have installed the marking tool but when I go to the Admin page I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: optional_param() in e:\domains\s\sheepwalk.co.uk\user\htdocs\moodle\blocks\marking\block_marking.php on line 33

Can anyone help please? I think I have Moodle 1.3

In reply to Marc Hawes

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This probably won't work in Moodle 1.3. You should upgrade to the latest 1.4 version.

mike
In reply to Darren Smith

by Karrie V -

Hi, does this block work with 1.4.1+ ?  I keep getting the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: optional_param() in F:\Election\Moodle\blocks\marking\block_marking.php on line 33

Thanks!

In reply to Karrie V

by Darren Smith -
Hmm. This seems to be the same error as posted above for the 1.3 version so I am guessing it's the same problem so I'm also guessing no!

It may be worth updrading to 1.4.4 if you can anyway as there would have been bug and security fixes.

Regards

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

Re: New marking block

by Nikki Macfarlane -

Fantastic block - just what i am looking for! Thanks so much.

Any idea when the version for 1.5 will be available? I have just downloaded Moodle - so excited to have found it after struggling with my own code for the past 2 years! I immediately downloaded the latest stable release which was 1.5 so cannot yet use your marking block and really wanted to have it up and running before I release the new student faciklity of moodle to all my students. Otherwise I might just find a way of uninstalling 1.5 and reverting to 1.4 since it is such a helpful component.

In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: New marking block

by Darren Smith -
Hi

Mike is about to start work on this anytime but it may be a handful of weeks before it's tested and released.

We have found it to be vital and it is the sole reason why we have not gone up to 1.5 yet.

i noticed your other post - you may be able to backup the courses you have created in your 1.5 install an import them into a 1.4.4+ install (check first!).

You can also install 1.5 and 1.4.4 side by side but either way you have some moving about to do at some point if you want to use the block straight away!