two usernames and passwords for one account?

two usernames and passwords for one account?

by Aaron Johnson -
Number of replies: 6

I need to be able to have two different usernames and passwords that utlimatly end up accessing the same account inside moodle. For instance:

I need to have an actual moodle account for a person "John Doe". His name can go on all work that has been completed and only his name would need to be registered in moodle. I need John to have his own username "jdoe" and his own password plus I need another username and password for "Jane Doe" that accesses and shares John's account in moodle. This way Jane can have her own login information so that if she wants to change her email address or password, it will not affect John's account.

Is this possible somehow? Perhaps a change in the database could enable this to happen?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Johnson

Re: two usernames and passwords for one account?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by Aaron Johnson -

I should have explained already. I am running moodle 1.9.13. Is there a way to do this in moodle 1.9?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

by Aaron Johnson -

It's good to know that 1.9 supports the parent role to view student profiles. Currently we just have parents share access to their student(s) account(s), which may require them to log in/out several times to check all of their students grades. I wonder if the overhead of maintaining student->parent role assignments is worth the extra effort...

Anyways, this does not actually address my problem. I need two people to be able to share access to the same moodle account but have different usernames and passwords and preferably be able to specify unique email addresses as well. They need to be able to login and have the exact same access to the exact same content, grades, questionnaire forms, submissions, etc. as if they are logged in to the same account simultaneously.

Any other suggestions?

by Howard Miller -
Well if you require exactly that functionality then the answer is no.

However, as a matter of interest, why do you want to do this?

by Aaron Johnson -

We are wanting this feature because our moodle site is set up for parent use, but not all parents can share one username and password amongst themselves...

Mostly the parents who are divorced have this breakdown in communication. We use the questionnaire module to collect registration information from parents but if we give the mom one username and the dad another then they will not share access to the same information... My feeling is that this really isn't the school's problem at all and that the parents are going to have to just grow up, but that's not everyone's opinion on it...

I think this is a feature that most software and secure web sites lack and it seems to me that most organizations just say tough luck when it comes to this sort of thing to parents who can't communicate with each other...

What do you think?