Geogebra in Moodle 2.1

Geogebra in Moodle 2.1

by Paola Manzini -
Number of replies: 15

Please forgive me if these questions are very basic, but I have no knowledge of servers, I am really a final end user. From searching the forum I think I have understood that there is a Geogebra filter for integration of geogebra in Moodle. Could you please direct me to the most straightforward and up to date link so that I can just pass it on to my system administrator? Bear in mind that I have already asked if we could implement Mauno's Math plugins, but that seems to require too much work considering all the other work they are doing.

I have found information here, here, here and here but I am not sure which one is the most recent and/or more useful from the point of view of a system administrator.

All else failing, I will have to use my own personal website...

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paola Manzini

Re: Geogebra in Moodle 2.1

by Mauno Korpelainen -

For Moodle 2.1 the latest files are and will most likely be in Github and

https://github.com/cmiic/moodle-filter_geogebra

upgraded by Christoph Reinisch

My math plugin package for Moodle 2.X has exactly the same files in folder filter/geogebra and as far as I can see there have not been any changes recently.

It's a nice filter.

Geogebra 4 / mobile version will be published very soon in http://www.geogebra.org/ - probably in http://www.geogebra.org/en/wiki/index.php/GeoGebra_Conference_2011

and it will have some new features smile

EDIT: The latest files by Christoph Reinisch in Github do have a couple new commits (made 2 days after I picked the files) to language files and settings of applet. I will upgrade the files of my package to use the same files.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Paola Manzini -

sorry Mauno, thinking about it again: does the filter depend on the GeoGebra version, i.e. if I asked my administratory to install the current GeoGebra filter, should we expect it to work with the 4.0 version of Geogebra?

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Don't worry - Geogebra 4 is still beta but once it is stable all compatibility issues are most likely solved.

Current moodle 2.X filter is using Geogebra 3.2.

http://wiki.geogebra.org/en/Manual:Compatibility

by Paola Manzini -

Mauno, thanks a lot!

Long Text In a Frame Box

by Stone Heart -

How to write long text such as

"the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. "

in a frame Box (in latex) ??

answer in brief , thank you i shall be obliged .........

In reply to Stone Heart

Re: Long Text In a Frame Box

by Mauno Korpelainen -

The short answer depends on your Latex renderer (Texlive etc, mathtex, mimetex, mathtran, mathjax...).

In moodle \mbox is a blacklisted command for historical reasons so the best option is usually \fbox that is supported by most versions of latex. In mimetex spaces are stripped so you need to add \text to see it as text. I can't find any good reason for using latex to render such long texts inside box - you have html, css and tools of editor (tables, frames, borders etc) for such purpose. Anyway since you asked

in mimetex try

\fbox{\text{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.}}

in other distributions for example

\fbox{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.}

or a little more advanced

\framebox[1.1\width]{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.}

if your latex supports \framebox.

Finally: your question has nothing to do with original question about Geogebra in moodle 2.1 wink

(created with table and border of table is set to width 1px and color of border is set to red - my long text is inside this table)

Tables

by Stone Heart -

i alreayd tried every command whatever you explained , but nothing happen, my text goes out of the page boundry , even i tried pagebreak and everything but nothing happend again, i want my text to continue with the second page , i want to put a really long text in that box, so suggest me a latext command, the original text is really very long about  2 page long , so please sort out my querry .

Thank you

In reply to Stone Heart

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Of course it goes as long as you can see - because it is LaTeX, not normal text! If you want to add linebreaks in latex try to add \\ to get a line break.

In mimetex

\fbox{\text{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\}}

works but in most other distributions

\fbox{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\}

renders just a long box and line breaks \\ do not have effect

$$\fbox{the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\}$$

BUT I tried to explain that it makes no sense to write page long texts to boxes using latex - you can use normal html and css for that purpose and add latex only for mathematical symbols you need with tokens or delimiters inside a one cell table - for example. At least on pages and resources of moodle. It's a totally different thing if you use latex for typesetting elsewhere...

In reply to Stone Heart

by Mauno Korpelainen -

If you are sure that you want to create huge images about such thing that can be simple text within a table (with html, css and some latex symbols) you can try for example adding an array inside \fbox and adding linebreaks - for example

\fbox{\begin{array}{l}the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\end{array} }

to get

$$\fbox{\begin{array}{l}the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\\the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.\end{array} }$$

- to notice that spaces vanish in latex arrays and you need to use some latex for spaces like

\fbox{\begin{array}{l}the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\end{array}}

and get

$$\fbox{\begin{array}{l}the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\\the\;quick\;brown\;fox\;jumps\;right\;over\;the\;lazy\;dog.\end{array}}$$

This is not at all a good way to write text to boxes smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Stone Heart -

this one is nice, i am doing some project work and there is a requirement to type a text in a box that why i am asking,

In reply to Stone Heart

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Just one more example how to do it with html if you don't want to use editor toolbar and table button there:

<table border="1">
<tbody>
<tr>
<td>
<p><strong>the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. </strong></p>
<p><strong>the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. </strong></p>
<p><strong>the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. </strong></p>
<p><strong>the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. </strong></p>
<p><strong>Some maths here: $ $\alpha\beta\gamma$ $. </strong></p>
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

renders a long "box" and you need tex filter / latex only for that $$\alpha\beta\gamma$$ there in the middle - not for the whole box

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog. the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog.

Some maths here: $$\alpha\beta\gamma$$.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Stone Heart -

Yeah Man, this is nice and it will work i am sure, thanks for your help, now one more thing , can you suggest me a nice textmaker for windows ?? am using textmaker 3.1 with MikTex 2.8 .........

In reply to Stone Heart

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Some people use google for this kind of questions - this forum is for discussing tools and techniques for using mathematics in Moodle smile

Texmaker 3.1 is probably a nice tool for typesetting tex - you just need to check first which packages are used in tex filter preamble (in moodle tex filter settings) and which commands are blacklisted in filter/tex/lib.php to notice that most typesetting commands are not available in moodle if you try to copy code from tex files to moodle...

Tex filter is not ideal for typesetting - it is just a tool for adding some limited set of symbols and operators to pages of moodle (from AMS packages).

You can compare some tools for example from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors

or

http://www.tug.org/interest.html#packages

by Stone Heart -

thank you so much, now my another querry related to figures, whenever i use

\begin{figure} [b!]

\includegraphics[scale=0.8] {galaxy.eps}

\caption{Illustration of the mikly way}

\lable{Milkyway}

\end{figure}

the figure is not showing on the right place, its showing somewhere else, am fed up, am what to do, i tried my level best, but nothing happen, its always showing somewhere else, but when i use \includegraphics then its showing on a right place but whenever i use \begin{figure} command its just a blast, showing somewhere else, please short out my this qurry, thank you .........