Enabling IMS Content Package Repository in Moodle 2.1

Enabling IMS Content Package Repository in Moodle 2.1

by Nathan Cobb -
Number of replies: 3

I'm trying to enable the IMS Content package repository in our new Moodle 2 (2.1+) and am getting a little confused.

In 1.9 I had to follow the instructions found at this link on Moodle docs to set it up which then allowed me to drop SCORM resources and the like into the directory on the server for deployment from within Moodle itself.

The documentation appears to suggest it's current for Moodle 2.0.  However, when trying to follow the instructions this afternoon I have come up against a minor problem in that I can't find the file I need to edit.

The guide says to:

Find repository_config.php in moodle/mod/resource/type/ims and change $CFG->repositoryactivate = false; to $CFG->repositoryactivate = true

I cannot see folders called /type/ims/ within the path moodle/mod/resource and a search for repository_config.php on the server is not finding anything.

It appears that I could upload the SCORM package within a particular course in Moodle 2.0 but does that mean I'd have to upload it multiple times to get it into different courses?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious although the thought that the docs page may have been migrated without being updated has occurred to me and that it is simply wrong.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Nathan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Cobb

Re: Enabling IMS Content Package Repository in Moodle 2.1

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Nathan,

That docs page was out of date (fixed now) that repository was never supported very well and had a range of issues in 1.9

The new repositories in 2.0 are a lot better but unfortunately don't really support the use of unzipped SCORM/IMS packages yet.

see MDL-28579 for the details

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Nathan Cobb -

Thanks for the update Dan

I've read the tracker article but I only really understand part of it.  We have a lot of resources which have previously been provided to us as zipped SCORM objects and made available through the IMS repository in 1.9.  This includes content only recently purchased.  Is there any way I can make this available in Moodle 2.0?

I've tried uploading the zip file to the course as an IMS content package but I can't seem to deploy it in the way I used to when I was picking it from the IMS repository.

There's a reference to an IMS Manifest file in the tracker entry and when I unzip the file on the server there is a file called "imsmanifest.xml".  Unfortunately when I try to choose that then I get the error 

"" is not a valid file type

Am I missing an obvious step here?

Many thanks

Nathan

In reply to Nathan Cobb

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yeah - looks like the ims resource type in 2.0 doesn't allow you to link directly to the imsmanifest.xml anymore! sad

The SCORM module does and should play your ims package as well but the bug I linked above means that it's not all that useful - unless you have a folder outside moodle but accessble via the web - in that case you can just use the url to the imsmanifest.xml (if you've enabled "Enable external package type" in admin > plugins > SCORM)