Help: Trying to further reduce the minimum width of my Moodle theme

Help: Trying to further reduce the minimum width of my Moodle theme

by Miss Moeller -
Number of replies: 14
Hello!

I am having a a bit of a problem with my website. I notice that there is a set minimum width that the Moodle frame will compress before it won't compress any further.

If you visit my Moodle page, you can see what I mean: missmoeller.com/school

Just shrink the browser window, and you'll see at a certain point it stops compressing.

Unfortunately, this results in a lot of the information (from the right side of the Moodle frame) being cut-off inside my wrapper in Joomla (using Joomdle).

As can be seen here:

www.missmoeller.com/index.php?option=com...p;id=2&Itemid=72

Joomla Site: missmoeller.com
Moodle Site: missmoeller.com/school

I would ideally like to try to make the Moodle frame integrate as "seamlessly" into the Joomla page's wrapper as possible, so I would prefer to avoid having scroll bars. (And I will be editing the theme of my Moodle page to match my Joomla theme.)

So my question is, does anyone know of a way to change the set minimum width that the Moodle frame will compress, so that I can compress it further, and can thus have less of the layout cut-off in the wrapper (and can avoid the scroll bars)?

(Alternately, does anyone know of a Moodle theme that already allows a better compression, or uses up less space?)

Thank you so much to anyone who can offer me assistance. I really appreciate it. I'm nearly finished with the site, and this thing is just throwing me a bit.

Note: BBcode and smileys are still usable.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miss Moeller

Re: Help: Trying to further reduce the minimum width of my Moodle theme

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Miss Moeller,

In any of the fluid width themes available in moodle you should be able to change the minimum page width by altering the min-width setting either in #page or #page-content.

For example the base theme has

#page-content {clear:both;float:left;overflow:hidden;position:relative;width:100%;min-width:900px;}

Note: do not change the base theme itself, but make these changes to your own theme when you are restyling to match your joomla site as you stated.

However, I am not sure this is going to solve your overall issue. It seems to me that with your joomla theme/template apparently fixed at 960px, then with a left column (approximately 200px?) you probably actually need to do a little bit more work in terms of ensuring that the side-blocks that are actually part of your moodle site are not used as well as this starts to limit your content width to only about 500px if one side column is present and only 300px if both are needed.

You could try looking at Daniel Wahl's Zebra theme which uses @media calls to adjust the layout depending on screen size. I don't know whether or not these calls will work in themselves when it is a frame size rather than a screen size which is the issue, but Daniel's pagelayout.css may give you some pointers.

It also seems to me that you could probably create your moodle theme in such a way that the pagelayout for the courses only shows the main content ie. just the course itself with no header, footer or sidebars as all the navigation, branding etc. is handled by the joomla page.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Miss Moeller -

Thank you for the advice, Richard.

The Zebra template has allowed me to fit everything inside the frame successfully.

However, it still looks a bit messy, since all the blocks appear spread out below the courses.

I realized that if I can get the blocks to all be docked by default/automatically, then this wouldn't be a problem.

I found this thread, and tried to do what they suggested, but I'm running into some troubles --> http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=170448#p793320

Any ideas of what might work?

Thank you again for helping me with this issue. smile I appreciate it.

In reply to Miss Moeller

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi,

My first suggestion would be to look at what blocks you actually need on your moodle course, given that it is inside the joomla site, and to use the sticky-blocks facility to remove those that you don't need anyway.

Beyond that, I'll take a look at the other thread and if I can come up with something I'll let you know - but on a quick look, hopefully someone with a bit more experience with the core code in this area would be able to help. My general advice would be not to make changes to moodle core as these will get overwritten with any updates.

I'll try and see if there are any other work arounds for this too - if not, you may want to raise it as a feature development for a future release.

by Miss Moeller -

There is some information here that caught my eye under --> http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Styling_and_customising_the_dock#Layout_file_changes

"content-only: This gets added if don't want to show either block region."
But I'm a bit of a dummy head, and based on the directions given, I can't really figure out if this is actually a solution to my problem.
Thank you for trying to give me a hand! I'm really appreciative. If you can find anything, or have any other ideas, please let me know. smile

by Richard Oelmann -

There is a tracker issue already raised for this - http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26816 You may want to look at that and watch/vote on it

Richard

by Miss Moeller -

I got everything up and running now with help from your suggestions! Thank you so much again! smile

And I will watch/vote that tracker. Thank you!

In reply to Miss Moeller

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I think the only thing stopping your site shrinking into infinity is the picture gallery which is set to  width850px; Take that out and your site will shrink to the total width of the next set of elements which have whole number values, these will probably be the side columns.

That's my observation, mind you I am still half asleep...LOL

Mary

In reply to Miss Moeller

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello again,

Edited: Since writing my comment below I took a better look at the frame inwhich your Moodle site will fit and found that by removing min-width using Firebug I got the following screen shot.

Now here is my original comment which I have left rather that delete to let you see what I was first thinking:

I've been thinking about this most of the day, and wondered what it is you are actually trying to do.

As the Joomla site is 900px wide. If you make your Moodle theme a two column site as this example shows and set a page width to 900px in css pagelayout like so #page { width: 900px; } this  would get round the problem.

Not having worked with Joomla for a long time, I am not familiar with Joomdle...but your site looks great!

I would imagine it would be pretty easy to create a new Moodle theme to match your existing Joomla theme.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

And it's getting better by the minute! I love this site!!!

Hi if your design people want some help just give me a shout! I love this idea of Joomdle!  WOW what have I been missing!!!

Mary

In reply to Miss Moeller

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me monitoring your site, and just to re-enforce what I was saying earlier. If you add #page-content { min-width: 0;} to the end of Standard theme's core.css this will fix the problem you have.

Here are 2 screen-shots of the calendar page...

BEFORE:  where CSS = #page-content { min-width: 900px}

AFTER: where CSS = #page-content { min-width: 0}

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miss Moeller -

Thank you, Mary!

I'm so glad you like how it's coming so far. It's nice to hear some encouraging words. smile

I am trying to follow your suggestion. Right now I am using a theme called Creatif.

I went to my Moodle directory/theme/creatif/style/creatif.css

I located the following code there:

div#page-content

{
    padding:0px !important;
    margin:0px !important;    
    width: 100% !important;
    position:relative;
}

I don't see the min-width: 900px line there, so I added my own min-width: 0px line, but didn't see any changes. Am I editing the wrong file? If so, which should I be looking for?

Thank you so much again for your help! smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miss Moeller -

Oops, never mind. I got it. Thank you again, Mary! smile

Now I just need to figure out how to have the blocks docked automatically.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Miss Moeller -

I got everything up and running now with help from your suggestions! Thank you so much again! smile

In reply to Miss Moeller

by Mary Evans -

I think I might join your course!  smile

It's looking good.

Mary