New Video Tutorial- How to Install Moodle on Shared Hosting via cPanel (Not Fantastico)

Re: New Video Tutorial- How to Install Moodle on Shared Hosting via cPanel (Not Fantastico)

by antoine pagere -
Number of replies: 2

Thanks for the clear tutorial, that easily guides you trough the right steps.

However, I got this error while install moodle in a specific folder via cpanel:

Error: database driver problem detected

The site administrator should verify server configuration

PHP has not been properly configured with the MSSQL extension so that it can communicate with SQL*Server. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP

I'm running a informational website on wholesale loose diamonds, www.diamondregistry.com and would like to provide online educational course for registered user only, that's why I have installed moddle in a distinct folder.

Is it not possible to install in a specific folder?
What should i do? 

Many thanks

In reply to antoine pagere

Re: New Video Tutorial- How to Install Moodle on Shared Hosting via cPanel (Not Fantastico)

by Paul LaRiviere -

Antoine,

While your goal of installing Moodle in such a way as to limit access to it to registered users only can certainly be accomplished, the error that you're experiencing isn't at all related to the folder in which you installed it.

Moodle is an application that is written in PHP and it makes use of many functions that are provided by the PHP interpreter on your platform that interact with an underlying database manager.

Judging from the error that you quoted, it appears that your site is operating on a Windows server, and that you were electing to use MS SQL as the database management system. However, the PHP interpreter on that platform needs to be equipped with some specific extensions that will support executing its database-related functionality with an MS SQL*Server. Evidently, this is not the case on that particular host.

Those necessary extensions to PHP can be provided either by re-compiling the PHP interpreter in such a way that the extensions are permanently included in its runtime image, or by providing the appropriate extensions as "shareable" modules which can be loaded and run when, and as, needed by the PHP interpreter. Details regarding those shareable modules will be included in the configuration file for the interpreter, which may be found in your file system under the filename "php.ini".

However, if your site is maintained on a shared hosting service, you may not have the necessary permissions to make the needed changes to PHP. In that case, you should contact your hosting provider, and explain your requirements to them. They may be prepared to accomodate your request as part of the services they provide you.

Hope this helps to clarify.

-- Paul

In reply to antoine pagere

by tom edwards -

Hi Antoine,

Get PHP installed with a web server. Unless you want to do it under IIS or some other way, the packages on the Moodle download page are a good solution. With this properly configured, you can continue with a standard Moodle installation on IIS.

Had the same problem with my no-show socks blog dedicated to teach how to dress up for men when I first started with a IIS server, but it worked fine after a few tweaks.

I recently switched for wordpress and I have to start again to find a solution for that platform.

Let me know if I can help,

All the best,