University / School Students Enrolments

University / School Students Enrolments

av Jack Qadan -
Antall svar: 3

Could someone please trist guide me on the best method of enroling students in courses. I totally dislike the enrolment key method as well as importing  flat files, so I thought using Cohorts to group students will be easier for teachers to enrol these Cohorts into their courses. Do you Agree?

If Cohorts is used, not sure how to maintain the structure annually when students leave or new students join  or change grades/classroom. I know there is always the option to add and delete, but is this the ideal way to do it.

Am concened on the administration feasibility of the enrolment in general and keen to have ideas from some who worked in similar environment.

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til Jack Qadan

Re: University / School Students Enrolments

av Tim Hunt -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers

Where do you currently store the data about enrolments in your institution?

Som svar til Tim Hunt

av Jack Qadan -

It is a simple MS-Access file stored on local network drive, however our moodle instant hosted on external dedicated server.

Som svar til Jack Qadan

av Tim Hunt -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Peer reviewers Bilde av Plugin developers

Well, you have to get the data out of that local database, and make it accessible to Moodle somehow. Of course, keeping your main studnet database behind your firewall is very sensible. It would make sense to only expose the minimum information required.

And Moodle does provide various options, but you have to meet it half way. Some options:

1. Automate the export of a CSV file form the access database, that can then easily be imported into Moodle.

2. Put a copy of the access database somewhere where Moodle can connect to it, and use the Moodle database enrolment plugin (can Access do proper access control, so you can give Moodle a username and password that can only open the database read-only, and only access a particular view?)

3. Think long term about acquiring a more sphisticated student information system.

There are probably other options, but I don't konw much about setting up enrolment.