SCORM Points post incorrectly in IE 8; Post correctly in Firefox 5

SCORM Points post incorrectly in IE 8; Post correctly in Firefox 5

by Micky Fokken -
Number of replies: 17

In internet explorer 8, only some of the points record in the gradebook.  Other SCORM packages that I uploaded 3 months ago are working fine.  I'm trying to find out what was done differently in the publishing process.

Moodle v1.91

Debugging and screenshots:  www.mytechschool.com/files/support/scorm/SCORMissue.docx
Captivate v5.0 file: www.mytechschool.com/files/support/scorm/captivate.cptx
SCORM Zip:  www.mytechschool.com/files/support/scorm/scorm.zip

Thanks,
Micky

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Micky Fokken

Re: SCORM Points post incorrectly in IE 8; Post correctly in Firefox 5

by Micky Fokken -

Does anyone have any ideas where I should start in trouble-shooting this?  We are getting 1 - 2 students per day e-mailing me, asking why their points are displaying correctly in the gradebook.

I have verified that this issue does not occur in Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox 5, when using Windows 7.

I wish I knew how to read the debugging output!

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Micky Fokken -

I did a little more research, learning how to read the debug log.  The documentation says that if the points in the debug match the points in the Moodle gradebook, it might actually be an issue with the SCORM package itself.

I've posted a support request to the Adobe forums.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/883237

If anyone suggests I pursue a different direction, I am open to input.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

bit weird that it's only happening in IE 8 but when creating your SCORM package in Captivate theres a setting somewhere that lets you decide to send a score or percentage to Moodle - my guess is that it's sending a score.

Moodle allows you to set the "Max Grade" when editing the settings of a course - set that to the max amount provided from your package and see if that makes any difference?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Micky Fokken -

Thank you for the reply, Dan.  All our Captivate files are set to export the SCORM packages, set to Score.

I am going back on memory here, but I believe it was recommended to set as score if we wanted it to work with the Certificate plug-in.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Micky,
from your (docx) SCORM logs it appears that Moodle works as expected e.g. for the 1st example since the API logs stops when the content has issued a LMSSetValue("cmi.core.score.raw", "6"): Moodle will correctly show 6 as the last score provided... they miss to tell us about when LMSCommit/LMSFinish calls has been done so I guess you've cut the full logs since 6 has been successfully registered and at least one commit call must exist somewhere.

On the contrary, errors on mod/scorm/request.js are potentially under the scope of "Moodle fault", if the content does not use "strange" JS breaking the Moodle SCORM AJAX calls: it is probably here the relation with the missing of calls starting from some point. Those lines of code are responsibile to move tracking data from the browser to the platform on LMSCommit/LMSFinish calls, a missing here is equal to lacking of tracking information in Moodle.

About the User Agent: it tells "IE 7, Media Center,Tablet" and not IE8. Could you check with your users the real IE version and/or strange setup at client side?

To go further on debugging the reasons of the JS failures:

Line: 34
Char: 5
Code: 0
URI: http://mytechschool.com/moodle/mod/scorm/request.js

it would be helpful if you'll be able to replicate (== deterministic, using a documented sequence of steps with the definition of the startup context, shortly a Test Case) the issue and provide more debug info i.e. using Developer Tools under IE7, http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=18359 or using the native Dev Tools in case of IE8. If you can replicate it, it would be nice to setup a test environment, cloning your production environment, in which you can hack the code w/o breaking anything for your users. Then having the list of steps to replicate the issue AND uncommenting this line in request.js:

//popupwin(url+"\n"+param+"\n"+httpReq.responseText);

will definitively help in collecting more debug information to understand when (param)  the JS error is triggered and probably why XMLHttpRequest status gives that error (tipical in asynchronous contexts when checking readyState == 4 is missing, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd576252%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).

Moodle exact version is required too: look at the footer, under the admin Notifications page.

Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Micky Fokken -

I believe we have found the source of the problem.

Compatibility View!

The sims record points correctly when compatibility view is OFF in IE 8.
The sims record the points INCORRECTLY when compatibility view is ON in IE 8.

We have tested this on 10 sims so far, with 2 different users, and the outcome is pretty consistant.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, especially those who posted ideas late into the night.  I hope we can keep in touch for future issues, and I can find a way to return the favor.

Next, we are modifying the theme to automatically disable compatibility view.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Micky Fokken -

We added the following code to lines 4 - 6 in theme > (themename) > header.html

<!--[if IE]>
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=8" />
 <![endif]-->

Thanks again everyone.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Micky,
I was not able to replicate the issue by using a standard Moodle 2.0 installation and the standard theme in Compatibility View under IE 8 (8.0.6001.18702).

Any chance to have more info about your installation? It could be interesting to identify the reason, custom (theme? jQuery? Anything related w/ JS?) modifications issue OR possible Moodle core issue.

TIA,
Matteo

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Micky,

great to hear you've got it sorted - do you have any more information on the reason for the fault? - it would be good if we could add something to the SCORM module code that prevents the issue too.

thanks,

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Dan Marsden -

just created MDL-28551 to track this

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Micky Fokken -

Should I gather all the IE logs that Matteo suggested, in order to determine why the fault is occuring the first place?

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dan Marsden -

yes - anything you can provide that would help us to reproduce would be good.

Also - info about your php version, extensions installed etc (output of phpinfo() would be great)

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dan Marsden -

any update on this Micky?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Micky Fokken -

We didn't get approval to troubleshoot this in more detail until the other day.  At first, we were hoping that users could press F12 and turn compatibility mode off.  Turns out the user base does not like those techie screens.  smile

I have just assigned a technician to this task and we will resume work on this tomorrow.

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Micky Fokken -

I think we fixed it!  Thank goodness for our change logs and file archives.  The request.js file had been modified per an feature request.  I replaced the modified version with the default Moodle 1.9 package install version, and now it works.

I have attached the modified version, in case you wish to see what was changed.

This is another lesson to always check our change logs when something isn't working.  I'll use this opportunity to upgrade our change logs so they can be sorted by feature (SCORM, CERTIFICATE, USERs, ROLES, etc).

In troubleshooting this issue, most of the time was spent trying to find out what browsers/modes cause the issue.

Thanks for all your help!

Should I post anything to the bug tracker?  Do you need anything else from me?

In reply to Micky Fokken

by Dan Marsden -

great to hear you tracked it down! - good work!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ivan Zamylin -

Could you veryfy whether it is an issue with the Moodle or something else?

I have exactly the same problem, but with the different LMS.

In my case, every user with IE8 that has IE6 compatability cannot get his results published to the LMS. Here is his user agent string:

Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+8.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+Trident/4.0;+Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.1;+SV1))