Installation hangs on 2.1+ (openSUSE, Apache2, MySQL)

Installation hangs on 2.1+ (openSUSE, Apache2, MySQL)

لە لایەن Martin O'Mahony -
Number of replies: 11

I never had any problems installing or running Moodle 1.8 through 1.9+, however, my setup seems to be inadequate for the installation process required with Moodle 2.1+.

I use an openSUSE 11.4 64 bit server with Apache2 and MySQL. The /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini was modified:

• max_execution_time = 0
  • max_input_time = -1
  • memory_limit = 1024M
  • post_max_size = 512M
  • upload_max_filesize = 512M
  • default_socket_timeout = 600

These settings have served me well with Moodle 1.9+. However, upon installing Moodle 2.1+ (from scratch) it hangs on /admin/index.php?agreelicense=1&confirmrelease=1&lang=en. For a while the browser (Firefox 5/Linux) keeps loading but all that's displayed is "Installation" and "System". But after a few minutes it stops loading. However, the httpd2-prefork/mysqld tasks seem to continue running on the server. I imagine this is not how things are supposed to be.

Could anyone please point me to what I may be doing wrong.

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان: -
In reply to Martin O'Mahony

Re: Installation hangs on 2.1+ (openSUSE, Apache2, MySQL)

Let me add to my previous post. When I click "reload" after the httpd2-prefork/mysql tasks have finished, I get to enter the admin details in /user/editadvanced.php?id=2. However, when I click "update profile" the browser after about 30 seconds offers me to download (!) editadvanced.php (which, of course, results in an empty file). I am sure sure that must be an indicator for what may be wrong with my settings - if only I knew what it is...

لە لایەن Peter Loesche -

Hi,

Moodle 2.x is more sophisticated than the 1.9 versions. Looking at your php.ini I am wondering if the max_execution_time is sufficient. The default is 300 sec/5 min., a value of 0 is true if php is executed from the command line. See : http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Administration_FAQ#How_to_change_the_maximum_execution_time

Good luck.

In reply to Peter Loesche

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, that setting did not make a difference. I even set max_execution_time to 6000. Still the results remains the same. The browser just stops after a while, the task of the server continues. (Actually, I verified it again a moment ago after restarting Apache2.) I think this indicates that the php scripts are executed as they should be. However, for some reason the connection to the browser is interrupted. It ought not to be my browser's fault, as it works fine with other sites.

What other settings might be relevant? Any settings not mentioned above have been left at their default.

Kind regards

لە لایەن Jerry Lau -

I also experience something similar... can never get it up and running using an existing db that was in 1.9.12 ...

I let it run for 2 days and not results ... disappointing. I think what we will do instead is to install an empty 2.1 database and try to restore a 1.9 course instead to 2.1

Ours is on Red Hat Enterprise

لە لایەن Christopher Murad -

Have you enabled developer debugging in the config.php and seeing if there is any output when the page stops loading.

Is /tmp getting full?
Are you  running any php accelerators ?  

Checking these things may lead to a soltuon

anyway just my $.02

Chris 

In reply to Christopher Murad

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have not been able to resolve the issue, yet. غەمبار

Let me just comment on the suggestions:

Peter, I looked that the Creating_custom_php.ini_files link and verified the settings. They were already in place. However, I am quite convinced that the problem must lie in one of the settings either in php5 or in Apache2 itself.

Jerry, actually I used a completely new database which I kept dropping and creating throughout my experiments. Also I removed files from the moodlework directory. So every new experiment started off with a clean slate.

Chris, I tried (!) to get the Moodle installer to add further debug information. So I added this to the config.php:

// Force a debugging mode regardless the settings in the site administration
// @error_reporting(1023);  // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
@ini_set('display_errors', '1'); // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
$CFG->debug = 38911;  // DEBUG_DEVELOPER // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
$CFG->debugdisplay = true;   // NOT FOR PRODUCTION SERVERS!
// You can specify a comma separated list of user ids that that always see
// debug messages, this overrides the debug flag in $CFG->debug and $CFG->debugdisplay
// for these users only.
$CFG->debugusers = '2';

However, I does not make a difference as I don't see any extra information on the screen. Am I missing something?

The /tmp directory has about 1TB of free space left. Should be plenty. چاوداگرتن Also I emptied it and rebooted the openSUSE computer.

The script itself seems to run as it should, however after a while the connection to the browser is broken and the script continues somewhere in the background.

Kind regards,

Martin

لە لایەن Christopher Murad -

Martin,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble,   you may need to enable that display_errors is enabled in your php.ini file as well... just another thought.

Another question is, have you tried to upgrade to 2.0.x instead of directly to 2.1 - does upgrading to 2.0.x give you the same problem?

Trying to help pin it down.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Murad

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your help. "display_errors in the php.ini" is a good suggestion which I haven't tried, yet.

What I did, though, was to migrate the whole Moodle server over to an Ubuntu Server 11.04 installation. It works like a charm there, no problems whatsoever. So definitely there must be something messed up with the openSUSE default settings in some place. As soon as I find some time, I'll run a diff on some of the conf files.

Kind regards,

Martin

لە لایەن Lerato Moletsane -

Hello,

I am installing Moodle 2.1 on a shared hosting account and I also get this problem. It hangs after performing the server checks. All I get is a screen displaying the words "Installing" and "System". There are no visible error messages.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution to this?

Kind regards,

Lerato

In reply to Lerato Moletsane

لە لایەن enrico camerin -

I have the same problem with share account siteground, i tryed some trick as suggested in othe topic like rename the config_dist.php, delete and recreate the database but all end up with te same problem

Thank you for your help

Enrico