2.1 Setting up a weighted mean of grades as a course grade

2.1 Setting up a weighted mean of grades as a course grade

by Isabelle Langeveld -
Number of replies: 0

I am experimenting with the gradebook in 2.1. I want to produce a crourse grade built on subcategories which have themselves a weighted category-grade.

My course is called: Dutch

I made subcategories in Grades>Categories and Items>Simple view for: Listening. Reading, Conversation, Speaking, Writing,

In each subcategory I made a number of gradeable items

I want students to have a report with a grade for each subcategory and a total grade for the course. Both are weighted, so not just an average of all the assignments.

I gave the assignments an Item-ID using Categories and Items>Simple view and then opening the edit Calculation by clicking on the calc icon

Lets say I have these items-IDs with a weight in their subcategory:

• Listening: Lu1*1, Lu2*3
  • Reading: Re1*1, R2*2,R3*2
  • Conversation: C1*1, C2*1
  • Speaking:Sp1*1
  • Writing: Wr1*1,Wr*2

The subcategories also got an ID:

Then for the formula for the weighted course total I decided on:

• Listening*2
  • Reading*3
  • Conversation*2
  • Speaking*1
  • Writing*2

I tried to set this up in the gradebook by setting in Grade administration>Categories and items>Simple View the aggregation type to 'Weighted mean of grades' for each category and subcategory. (BTW what is the difference between WMG and SWMG???)

Then I translated the weight into a percentage.

I made a teststudent and gave her grades for each assignment in Grade admin>Grader report>Turn editing on.

Then I looked at her User report and the subcategory grades worked out okay! (forget about the outcomes)

But, now I trip on the formula for the course grade. In Grade administration>Categories and items>Simple View I scroll down to Course total and click on the calc icon to edit a formula. I translated my weighting into this formula:

The formula was accepted, but I don’t get a weighted course grade. The grade shows as the maximum grade. It doen't seem to have applied the formula. Where did I go wrong?

And to try everything, I also filled in a percentage for the weight of each subcategory, corresponding with my formula. But to no avail…still the maximum grade for the course.

Sorry to write such a long story but maybe my mistake is somewhere early in the process?