Hide settings block from students

Hide settings block from students

by Joshua Saxon -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there,

I don't want my students to be able to change any settings. Is there a way to disable this block for students?

Failig that, can I at least disable them being able to edit their profiles? I`m planning to integrate into a different system so having this in the Moodle site would be superfluous and confusing for them.

Many thanks uin advanced for any help or advice,

Josh 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joshua Saxon

Re: Hide settings block from students

by Simon Clegg -

Hi Josh,

I was asking exactly the same quesion here.

I think the best wasy would be to have some conditional code in the theme template, so I asked another questions here, that when answered I believe would solve the problem.

In reply to Simon Clegg

by Joshua Saxon -

Great. There are so many things I'd like to streamline, but that's the most important to me.

I tried what the poster suggested in the other forum, but the settings block is still visible and that's the one I want gone.

In reply to Simon Clegg

by casey keppel-compton -

HI Team

I also wish to remove the settings block for all students and I want site admins to be able to view this block - does anyone have a solution for this - there is no settings on this block that I can see - also from site admin -> plugins ->manage blocks - there is no obvious method to adjust who can see it - the block does not have a hide icon either

Appreciate a workaround if there is one

In reply to casey keppel-compton

by Steve Bailey -

Have you tried changing permissions? For this to work I think you'd have to remove permissions relating to editing own profile on the "Authenticated User" role, but you'd then need to allow this on every role other than Student. This may result in all users not being able to edit their profile from the front page as, unless you have a fairly advanced setup, ALL users on the frontpage are "authenticated user". However, all non-student roles should still see the edit profile link within courses.

For the block specifically I was going to recommend a role override, but I believe this would have to be added to every instance of the block, i.e. every page, individually mixed.

To recap: have a play with permissions and see what happens.