Generic HTML block in CVS

Generic HTML block in CVS

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There is now a generic HTML block in Moodle 1.5 - it's the one Jon put in contrib ages ago which I'd missed!  big grin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Generic HTML block in CVS

by Miles Tillinger -
sounds great, exactly what I need! Problem is I need this block for a 1.4.3 installation. Does it exist? If not, how hard would it be to get the 1.5 block working in 1.4.3?

thanks in advance...
In reply to Miles Tillinger

by John Papaioannou -
Hi Miles,

No, it doesn't exist for 1.4 and it would be pretty hard to do it (if at all possible). 1.4 does not support specific configuration for each block you see in Moodle, only for a each kind of block as a whole. The blocks library was written almost from scratch for Moodle 1.5 to support all these goodies. Sorry to disappoint you. sad

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Miles Tillinger -
Thanks Jon smile I was really trying my hardest to wait for 1.5 to be released, for this and many other reasons! The powers that be wanted it now and also wanted me to make a lot of changes... I guess i'll try to provide something simple in the interim.
In reply to Miles Tillinger

by Jan Dierckx -
I hesitated posting this because it looked like (and is!) shameless self promotion, but it seems you really need this urgent, and now someone else asked about something similar. The glossary_random block can be used to add html to a block. It only allows for one instance per course, but it is possible to change the title for every course separately. And if you change the settings to rotate the content only once every 365 days, you have a html block.
Warning: you cannot add javascript or flash to the glossary. This solution only works if you want to add pictures / html in a block.

by Sean S -
I'm not sure I understand what the advantage or uses of this block are. Could someone explain why I would want to or need to use it?
In reply to Sean S

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can put anything in it that doesn't require programming ... advertisements, funny quotes, student of the week, cool links, Flash clock, tiny games, movies etc etc

I'm sure we'll see some imaginative uses being made of it ...

by daniel ginerman -
great! I loved your description, Martin
it seems to be that generic block will resolve many of my pending issues...
now, I only hope the upgrade won't be a traumatic experience, after weeks configuring and building my site on 1.4.3   mixed

by the way.....
is there any possibility to edit a category page?
i'd like to have category pages as "virtual frontpages" devoted for specific users (i'd like to redirect i.e. a domain name to a category-page in my moodle site)
to do that, i must be enabled to edit them, and if possible, to add them sideblocks...
can you give me some advice on this matter?

thanx once again, so happy of being among moodle people community smile,

daniEl

by Sean S -
Ooohhh... I like that and already have visions of usefulness.

by Gavin Allinson -
are there any videos available that show how to add a link to a webpage in the html block and other functions.

i am unsure of what i need to do I am sure it is pretty simple.

Gavin