Hide the whole navigation block

Hide the whole navigation block

by Samuel Sun -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone,

I want to hide the whole navigation block from some roles(not admin) while keep some other blocks, such as calendar and custom block. Is there a way to do it? Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Sun

Re: Hide the whole navigation block

by Vincent Baert -

maybe you can check if the user is an admin and add a style tag to the header that sets the display to none for all blocks an admin doesn't need to see?

In reply to Samuel Sun

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

* turn on the editing on the front page and then click the edit icon of
the navigation block
* Ignore the central settings and look down to the left - there is a
settings block for the navigation block *Click the blue "permissions"
link

*In the line "view block" click the X  of those you don't want to view the block. (if you are doing this on the front page you would need to use authenticated user as normally you won't have teachers/students assigned on the front page)

* If you do change your mind, click the + and it will offer roles for
you to give back the viewblock permission to/

In reply to Mary Cooch

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry, you have to do the permissions on EVERY single page, if any other teacher add any new page, the nav block will reveal to all users.

I really dislike the new Nav block in Moodle2.0. Because my courses are designed for different groups. I don't want them to know each other. But, the Nav block just show every courses available on my site.

To totally hide the Nav block, Site Administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks > Navigation=OFF.

By doing this, Admin has to go: Site Administration > Courses to find the whole course list.

In reply to Samuel Sun

by Samuel Sun -

Thanks for all the replies.

I came up with an solution(kind of) like this:

The theme I use have two sidebars defined but I show them on the side area, side-pre and side post. I put all blocks I want to show to everyone in side-pre, while showing those just for admin in side-post. Then in the theme layout, I use is_siteadmin to check if it is admin, show both side area; if not, just show side-pre.

Hope this help. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

In reply to Samuel Sun

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi, we have done this in our custom theme. It's quite easy. Although the original poster found an alternate workaround I thought it might still be useful to give the 'correct' answer for if you really want to do exactly what was requested.

Here is a function from our theme_ou_core_renderer class which extends core_renderer (I am not going to explain how to override renderers here, you will need to read the documentation such as it is, or look at full code - unfortunately full code of our own theme is not public at the moment.)

As you can see this is more complicated than the requirements here; we hide the Settings block, except when looking at pages with the 'mydashboard' page layout, and except for people with a certain (new) capability. You could change this to hide it always and to use issiteadmin instead of checking capability (and obviously change the block).

Note: I didn't write this code, just pasting it here smile

--sam

/**
     * Override the block function to hide setting block when logged in as student.
     * @param block_contents $bc HTML for the content
     * @param string $region the region the block is appearing in.
     * @return string the HTML to be output.
     */
    public function block(block_contents $bc, $region) {
        global $COURSE, $PAGE;
        //Hide the Setting blocks when logged in as student.
        if (isset($bc->attributes['class']) &&
                strpos($bc->attributes['class'], 'block_settings') !== false) {
            $context = get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $COURSE->id);
            if (!has_capability('theme/ou:viewextrablock', $context)) {
                // Show if student is viewing user profile related pages
                if ($PAGE->pagelayout !== 'mydashboard') {
                    return '';
                }
            }
        }
        return parent::block($bc, $region);
    }