HTML editor question

HTML editor question

by John Lawrence -
Number of replies: 2

Dear fellow Moodlers,

I am trying to create content in Moodle 2.0.3 using the built-in editor however I am running into significant challenges.

1.  I have not studied HTML hence my knowledge of HMTL is limited.

2.  I can set up the "appearance" of the page but after I save and return to the course, all my changes have been eliminated and the page looks like the previous, jumbled version.

3.  I've tried using OpenOffice, saving the file as an HTML file and then import it into the "Weekly" topic area - with similarly poor results.

Is there a WYSWYG editor that I can use/substitute for the built-in editor available in Moodle 2.0?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Lawrence

Re: HTML editor question

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you are using the moodle WYSIWYG HTML editor, you don't need to know or use any HTML code. Simply use the editor to format the test/images etc. as you want them to appear and that will be fine.

One thing to note is that if you want to set the appearance in terms of positioning elements within your content, you will need to bear in mind that this editor (and any other you may use) will not necessarily have the same width as the content when it is displayed. Without using HTML/inline css etc. the easiest way around this is to set up the display of your content area using tables - also availabel within the moodle html wysiwyg editor.

In terms of using other alternatives, software like OpenOffice Writer, MSWord or other wordprocessors are not really a good idea, compared to other tools available, as they can add additional/hidden code. But there are many alternative dedicated html editors and website development programs available - it really depends on what system you are using (Windows/Mac/Linux) When not using Moodle, I tend to use Komposer on my LinuxPC - although in truth, I often turn to a blank moodle course page to use the moodle editor when creating pages for outside moodle as well - I then cut and paste the code out of moodle to my other page - basically the opposite of what you're asking ! lol!!)

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: HTML editor question

by John Lawrence -

Thank-you Richard!  Your advice about using tables worked perfectly and I will definitely be adding that to my toolbox for future course developments.