Hot Potatoes, Quiz, QuizPort, Xerte...?

Hot Potatoes, Quiz, QuizPort, Xerte...?

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 43

Hi Barfus, Gordon and everybody,

I thought your question, Barfuss, "Is it possible to make a similar comparison between "Adding the hotpot as an activity" (directly from the course frontpage) and "Adding the hotpot as a quiz" (importing it into the question bank)?" and Gordon's answer really useful. I'd like to take it further.

Like Gordon, I mainly use Hot Potatoes, these days through QuizPort, for making learning exercises and only use Quiz for testing.

However, I realise that it's partly because I'm just more familiar with Hot Potatoes and so it's quicker for me to create exercises that way. But recently Tim Hunt put up a list of Quiz Question Types and I realised that there are a lot of things that can be done in Quiz that I wasn't aware of. His list doesn't make explicit what each type actually does because that wasn't his purpose in making the list. I feel it would be really useful to have a list that does make that clear.

Stan Bogdanov has already done this and more for HP with his Hot Potatoes Taxonomy & Samples. People new to HP are often put off by the "look" of the exercises in Martin Holmes and Stewart Arneil's tutorials, for example: "How can I make it look like my website, and not web circa 2001. How can I add flashier graphics?" Jay asked recently (June 1) on the Hot Potatoes Users Group. Stan not only shows examples, he also provides tutorials on how to achieve this.

Deborah Delin is busy exploring what can be done with Xerte because it uses Flash and can integrate sound in a way Quiz and HP can't (or at least, I don't know how to do so) and also proposes different exercise types such as "hot spots" images and classifying. (See Deborah's blog and the Moodle for Language Teaching forum for more details.) I'd really love to be able to insert Xerte exercises into QuizPort but I don't know how to. Though Xerte is a html page, it can't be added to a QuizPort sequence like a "normal" html page.

Cheers,

Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Hot Potatoes, Quiz, QuizPort, Xerte...?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Glenys,

I had a quick look at Xerte. Probably we can get in running in QuizPort in a similar way that iSpring does. We will need a new output format, that fixes the relative URLs, but once that is done, I believe it will work fine.

I don't think we will be able to make use of its result reporting abilities - if it has any - but we should be able to at least make it viewable and include it in a quiz/task chain.

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Glenys,

I have added detection of Xerte index.html files, and a new QuizPort output format to tweak the Xerte files so that they can be delivered via QuizPort. Most of the tweaks are just setting the relative URLs to their correct absolute URLs, but I also took the liberty of centering the Flash object in the browser window.

I have a hunch that the absolute URLs won't work on Moodle sites where Site administration -> Server -> Slasharguments is set to "no", but I will put the software out now, as it is, for people to experiment with.

To add a Xerte exercise to a QuizPort activity, upload your Xerte exercise folder to your Moodle 1.x course files folder, and select the "index.htm" file as the "Source file" for a QuizPort quiz.

You will need to update the QuizPort module on your Moodle site, in order to get this new functionality.

enjoy smile
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

That's great news that Xerte can now function in QuizPort!

As Glenys has mentioned, Xerte has a couple of really nice features which can't be replicated with Hot Potatoes, like Image Hot Spots and Categories.  I also like the modern looking interface.  You can also create your own SWF's and run them through Xerte (though maybe you can do that with HP's too...........?).

Thanks so much for being so incredibly responsive.

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
you're welcome. Thanks in turn for sharing your Xerte exercises approve

When I was investigating Xerte, I got the impression it was developed at Nottingham Univeristy in the UK, and by chance I am going there this August (for the EuroCALL conference). I will try to talk someone on the Xerte team and see if there is a way that Xerte can talk to QuizPort and send some details about how the student interacted with the materials.

As always, please let me know how you get with the new functionality of QuizPort, and send in your ideas and feedback.

best regards
Gordon

by Helen Whitehead -

I work with the people who created Xerte so I will draw this discussion to my colleagues' attention. I'm sure we'd be interested to have a chat when you're in the area, Gordon.

best

Helen

In reply to Helen Whitehead

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

This is indeed great news and I'm lucky enough to have an excellent host who updates QuizPort before I even ask wink so I've been able to try it out.

I'm afraid it needs some adjustment as my exercise appears distorted, see here in QuizPort and compare with the same standalone. Is there some setting I can change or is this more work for you?

Please feel free to modify the exercise where it is - it's not in a course with students working on it.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Glenys and Gordon,

I had varying results when viewing both of the Xerte's in various browsers:

In IE8 the Quizport version displayed perfectly, no distortion.  The standalone version failed to load.

The Quizport version was distorted widthways and shunted upwards in Firefox.   In Google Chrome the Quizport version flashed briefly on the screen and then went to "continue".

The standalone version was distorted widthways in Firefox and Google Chrome (see screenshot).

Deborah

Attachment xerte_quizport.jpg

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Deborah,

I never thought of testing different browsers. Shame on me! clown

Here are the results for my Xerte exercises

On Mac:

The standalone version is OK on:

Firefox 4.0.1, Opera 11.11, Chrome 12.0.742.91, Safari 5.0.5 (6533.21.1)

The QuizPort version is distorted on:

Firefox and Opera.

The QuizPort version "flashed briefly on the screen and then went to "continue" as you reported, Deborah, for both:

Chrome and Safari.

-----

On Windows 7

The standalone version is OK on:

Firefox, Opera, Chrome

The QuizPort version is distorted on:

Firefox

"flashed briefly on the screen and then went to "continue" on:

Chrome

Page not found on:

IE9

Hope that helps you find a solution, Gordon.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Gordon Bateson -
The distortion happens because the Xerte display mode is set to "fill window", so the browser bravely tries modify the width and height of Xerte Flash object according to it's understanding of the CSS display rules, but as you have found different browsers have different interpretations of what 100% width and height means in practice.

If you change the Xerte display mode to "default" or "fixed", and regenerate the exercise, then you can probably view the exercise OK. I have written a fix for this, but I cannot make it publically available till tonight when I return from the event that I am attending today.

thanks for the detailed testing and feedback approve
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Xerte fans,
I have modified the Xerte output format for QuizPort so that the "full window" display mode does not distort the Flash Object. The fix is a bit of a kludge, but it works for now. In the longer term, I would like to implement a more elegant solution.

The modified scripts are included in the latest version of the QuizPort module which you can download using the folowing link:

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Glenys Hanson -

Dear Gordon,

Now everything works perfectly with Xerte in QuizPort! I've tested on Mac with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari. From the user's point of view, nothing seems kludgy.

Thanks once again for your rapidity and efficacity in finding solutions.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Helen Whitehead

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Helen W.,
welcome to the HotPot/QuizPort module. I would very much to meet with you when I am in Nottingham this August for EuroCALL 2011. I would also like to pursue the idea of closer integration between Xerte and QuizPort, along similar lines to the way that a Qedoc exercise can be initiated and tracked by QuizPort:

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I know you are in Paris for the Hotpot Minimoot and I am so sorry I cannot be there but am looking forward to hearing about it.

I finally got around to trying out Xerte in Quizport today but I didn't succeed.  I updated my Quizport module this morning to version 2008040116.  I tried setting Use slash arguments to both yes and no and I tried setting various different filters and navigation modes but I just get a blank screen with a "continue" button when I select the link to the Quizport.   I linked to the index.htm of the Xerte so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

You are probably too busy to address this but I just wanted to record what I did.  It's not urgent.  

Thank you.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

p.s.  My Xerte contains swf's.  Just wondering if that could be the problem.....

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,

please could you upload the exercise to my test site so I can have a good look at it.

thanks
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

Yes, sorry, I should have thought of doing that.  

The exercise is now on your site as "Deborah Xerte Test".  It mis-functions in the same way as it does on my site.  If it is because the file contains SWF's, and it is not a simple thing to remedy, please don't spend time trying to solve it.  I am thinking of bypassing Xerte and making my SWF's standalone and using the SWF module as in these exercises I am really only using Xerte as a pretty wrapper and not making any use of its features.

Thank you.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,

thanks again for uploading the Xerte exercise to my server. I had a look at it today and worked out why QuizPort was not detecting it as a Xerte file. I have fixed the issue now, and these activities should work again on your site, the next time your QuizPort  module is updated.

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

That's great news Gordon.  I'll update as soon as possible and try it out.

Thanks so much.
Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,

before upgrading, QuizPort thinks that your file is an ordinary HTML file. In order to force QuizPort to recognize it as a Xerte file, you will need to remove the Xerte quiz, and then add it again. Alternatively, you can change the source file (on QuizPort's "Updating: Quiz" page) to some other file and then change it back to the Xerte index.html file.

good luck!
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I hope you are well?

I have been working on a project made up of SWF's in a Xerte "wrapper" and, thanks to you, presented in Quizport.

I am wondering if I could add some code to my SWF's to make them communicate better with Quizport?  Would it be possible to add a bit of code  to a Xerte or SWF which tells Quizport to move to the next quiz (in this case Xerte) , as Hot Potatoes do?  And could I communicate scores to Quizport from the SWF's?

I have learnt to do a bit of AS2 coding so I am wondering if I could convert the code you use in Hot Potatoes to tell Quizport things, to  "talk" to Quizport from my Xerte's/SWF's?

Or am I dreaming?thoughtful

Thanks a lot in advance.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
good to hear from you smile

The QuizPort page that displays the Xerte swf file also contains a form that contains the "Continue" button. I think all you need to do is find a way to tell Flash to initiate that form's submit event handler and you should get the result you want.

I am not familiar with ActionScript so I don't know how that would be done. However, I believe you could use either of the following in your ActionScript ....

• getUrl( "javascript:submitForm()" );
  • fscommand( "submitForm", "" );

As long as you have the following javascript in your HTML document ...

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
function submitForm() {
  var obj = document.getElementById('store');
  if (obj) {
  obj.submit();
  }
}
//]]>
</script>

I have not tested the above code and I do not know how you would insert getUrl or fscommand into your ActionScript, but I am confident that if you can get the Javascript function to run, the form will be submitted and QuizPort will decide what to show next based on the post-conditions defined for the Xerte quiz.

The following page was my reference for creating this post:

Please let me know if you find a solution cool

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks very much for your reply and for kindly looking that up for me.

I think I know how to insert getURL into my Actionscript.  But I don't know what HTML document you are referring to when you say:

As long as you have the following javascript in your HTML document ...

I have my Xerte/SWF and I have Quizport but where is the HTML document?  

And one more question.  In the code below do I need to replace 'store' with something else or is this something Quizport knows about?

//<![CDATA[
function submitForm() {
  if (obj) {
  obj.submit();
  }
}
//]]>
</script>

Thanks so much.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,

> I don't know what HTML document you are referring to

I am referring to the index.htm file that Xerte produces and which you present to QuizPort as the "Source file" for the QuizPort activity.

> do I need to replace 'store' with something else
> or is this something Quizport knows about

It is something that QuizPort knows about, so you can use that JavaScript just as it is.

You may be interested to know that the "store" form also contains the following fields:

• detail (set to '')
    results of quiz attempt encoded as XML
  • status (set to 4)
    1=in progress, 2=timed out, 3=abandoned, 4=completed
  • score (set to 100)
    the score of the quiz attempt

If you set these fields, for example by adding more javascript to the submitForm() function, then that information will also be returned to QuizPort and can be used in post-conditions or displayed in reports.

If you get a working example, please let me know, and I will see if we can modify the Xerte output format to, for example, insert the submitForm() function automatically.

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Good gracious it actually worked!!surpriseapprove  (And it certainly wasn't your coding skills I was doubtful about Gordon!).

I put the script you suggested into the Xerte index.html:

//<![CDATA[
function submitForm() {
if (obj) {
obj.submit();
}
}
//]]>
</script>

and the following into the SWF:

this.onEnterFrame = function(){
 if (hits==5) {
getUrl( "javascript:submitForm()" );
delete this.onEnterFrame;
}}

The working example is here:

http://www.strivney.com/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=preview&quizid=22997&qnumber=-1&unitattemptid=8918&sesskey=vdH4tuNRn4

(Last page 14/14 -  on completion of short quiz Quizport whizzes us off to the next quiz!).  Or would you prefer I construct a sample and put it on your site?

Although I set a time delay for this quiz, it moves on immediately.  Would there be a way of getting implementing the time delay which has been set in Quizport or would I need to try and code that in via the SWF?

You mention that the "store" form can be used to detect the score too.  That's very exciting!  I don't know Javascript (though it looks remarkably similary to AS2) .....could you possibly suggest how I would adjust  the submitForm() function to detect the value of the "score" variable from my SWF?

Thanks so much for showing me how to make all this magic happen!

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah
here is a modified version of the function that can optionally accept values for score, status, xml (results) and delay (in seconds) for the form submission.

To submit the form with the default values, try either of these:

• getURL("javascript:submitForm()")
  • getURL("javascript:submitForm(100, 4, '', 0)");

Or to submit a score of 79% with a delay of 2 seconds, try this:

• getURL("javascript:submitForm(79, 4, '', 2)");

Or if the score and delay are stored in varlables, "myScore" and "myDelay" in your ActionScript, you can pass those like this:

• getURL("javascript:submitForm(" + myScore + ", 4, '', " + myDelay + ")");

Hopefully that should give you a few ideas to experiment with smile

all the best !
Gordon

//<![CDATA[
function submitForm(score, status, xml, delay) {
    // score  : 0 .. 100
    // status : status of quiz attempt
    //          1=in progress, 2=timedout, 3=abandoned, 4=completed
    // xml    : details of quiz attempt, encoded as XML
    // delay  : time delay (in seconds) before results are sent

// locate submission form
    if (obj) {

// set default values
        if (typeof(score)=='undefined') {
            score = 100;
        }
        if (typeof(status)=='undefined') {
            status = 4;
        }
        if (typeof(xml)=='undefined') {
            xml = '';
        }
        if (typeof(delay)=='undefined') {
            delay = 0;
        }

// insert values into form
        obj.score.value = score;
        obj.status.value = status;
        obj.detail.value = xml;

// submit form (after delay, if required)
        if (delay) {
            setTimeout("document.getElementById('store').submit();", delay * 1000);
        } else {
            obj.submit();
        }
    }
}
//]]>
</script>

by Deborah Delin -

This is all totally brilliant!  Thank you so much!

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

One Xerte is made up of many pages.  In the case of my Xertes most of these pages are exercises which yield a score.  

When I call the Submit Form function on the last page of my Xerte a score is submitted but the record will only show that score.

Would there be a way of submitting the scores from previous pages, without  the whole Submit Form function which causes Quizport to move the student to the next quiz in the Quizport?

And if this was possible, could I give the previous pages identifying names with encoded xml and could you please give me an example of how the page name would be coded?

if (typeof(xml)=='undefined') {
    xml = ''; // details of quiz attempt, encoded as XML
}

I hope this is clear and I hope I'm not being too greedy.

With thanks in advance.
Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
yes, it is possible to do what you want to do, but you will have to work very hard to get it.

First, let us remember that from QuizPort's point of view, your Xerte exercise is a single thing with a single status, score and xml-encoded results.

If you send the results back to QuizPort with the status set to "1" (= in progress), then I don't think QuizPort will try to move on to something else.

We can put what we like into the xml, so you could certainly put all the information you want about which "pages" in your Xerte have been attempted, and what the details of the interaction with each page were. However, we would also need a PHP script sitting in the right place in QuizPort, so that we could then extract those details from the XML and present them to the teacher and student in a readable format.

Now, QuizPort knows all about how the results from Hot Potatoes quizzes are encoded in XML, so one possible shortcut you could consider is to encode your Xerte results in the same way as a Hot Potatoes quiz does. I would think a JQuiz would be the most suitable place to start.

Here is a document I made to help me remember the format of the XML of Hot Potatoes quizzes:

http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/19/mysql/mod/quizport/docs/developer/21.xml.doc

It probably doesn't make much sense at first glance, but if you couple that with looking at some actual examples of your Hot Potatoes quizzes in action, you may begin to get the idea of how it all works.

You can see the actual XML that is used by Hot Potatoes quizzes within QuizPorts on your site if you first enable Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities -> QuizPort -> Store the raw XML details of QuizPort quiz attempts, and then attempt a simple JQuiz administered via QuizPort. The results will be stored in the mdl_quizport_details table in your database (in the "details" field).

It may be possible to utilize the javascript functions and classes the QuizPort uses to encode the results as XML. Those are located in the "mod/quizport/output/hp/hp.js" file on your Moodle site. For example, here is the URL for that file on my server: http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/19/mysql/mod/quizport/output/hp/hp.js

This may be all rather more technical that you would have liked, but there we are, that's the way it is. That is the unbridled, beautiful truth of how it all works.

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your, as always, extremely helpful and detailed reply!

Yes, you are right, it's way more than I bargained for!  I think I'd get stuck at the PHP.  But it's good to have the information and if I'm feeling brave I might have a go.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -

Hi again Gordon!

I have a series of Xerte's in Quizport, "resume" is set to "force" and each Xerte moves on automatically to the next Xerte thanks to the code you helped me with.

Is there a way of hiding the "continue" button at the bottom of each Xerte? If students click this button they are moved to the next quiz (Xerte)  in the Quizport, but if they didn't want that to happen, and want to get back to the previous Xerte, they can't, because resume is set to "force" and they can only access the last quiz they viewed.  

I've tried various settings but "continue" persists.  Sorry if I'm missing something basic here.

Thanks very much in advance.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
I think you can hide that button with CSS:

• form#store input { display: none; }

You can add the CSS in a <style> tag within the <head> of your index.html ...

<style type="text/css">
    form#store input { display: none; }
</style>

... or you could also add the following line to the javascript <script> block which contains the "submitForm()" function:

var txt = 'form#store input { display: none; }';
var obj = document.createElement('style');
obj.setAttribute('type', 'text/css');
if (obj.styleSheet) {
    obj.styleSheet.cssText = txt;
} else {
    obj.appendChild(document.createTextNode(txt));
}
document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(obj);

all the best
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I tried adding both those scripts to the index.htm but the "continue" button still appears.

I'm attaching the index.htm file and I also uploaded the file to your test site and the "continue" button appears there too:

Do you have a further suggestion?

Thanks a lot,
Deborah

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Deb,

the CSS Gordon gave you is a bit wrongish.

These two style properties do two different things.

visibility: hidden hides the element, but it still takes up space in the layout.

display: none removes the element completely from the document. It does not take up any space, even though the HTML for it is still in the source code.

So I'd suggest you do the CSS as display: none to hide the button.

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -

Oh yes. It should be "display: none". Thanks Stan.

Also, Deborah, you have put the javascript in the middle of the submitForm function, but I meant for you to put it within the <script> tag, but outside of the submitForm() function.

I will fix it up and send it back.

But first, I'm going to eat some birthday cake smile
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Happy birthday, Gordon! (Check your skype too)

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for the messgae Stan ... yes, I've reached the big 50 ! Yippee !!

by Gordon Bateson -

Deborah,

I found one further error in my earlier code, namely that since it is the form's "id" that is called "store", not its "class", the correct css should have been as follows:

• form#store input { display: none; }

The easiest way to add this to the index.html is to add it in a <style> tag within the <head> part of the document.

Please find attached the amended index.html, which I have confirmed works on my site.

I have also fixed the errors in my earlier post, to prevent anyone copying that incorrect code.

enjoy!
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Happy birthday Gordon!  The fifties are fun!!

Thank you Stan for popping in to help!  And thanks very much, Gordon, for sending me back the htm file so I can see exactly where the code is supposed to be!

I found that with the CSS alone the continue button still showed up!  But the javascript did the trick nicely.smile

I have another question.  I am thinking of getting very brave and trying to tackle the scoring solution you suggested.  You said:

Store the raw XML details of QuizPort quiz attempts...........The results will be stored in the mdl_quizport_details table in your database (in the "details" field).

I've never had to deal with my Moodle database and I have no idea where it is!  It doesn't appear to be on my server files when I searched via FTP, and there doesn't seem to be a way of accessing it via my Moodle interface.  I searched and searched the forums but no-one seems to have ever asked this question before - so I feel a bit silly.thoughtful  Or is this a question  I need to ask my server....?

Thanks again,

Deborah

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Deborah,

I found the mdl_quizport_details table on my local server by using PhpMyAdmin but I don't have that access to that on the distant server. For very good reasons, my host doesn't want me messing about there so maybe you need to ask yours.

On my local Moodle Xampp server, this is the path: C: > xampp > mysql > data > Moodle19 >

I'm sure you'll get some real techie support soon. wink

Cheers,

Glenys

by Deborah Delin -
Thanks Glenys..........I am ashamed to admit I don't understand or know about most of the things you mentioned in your post. I've never accessed my Moodle via my local server - I wouldn't know how or why to. And I've never used PhpMyAdmin or succeeded with Xampp. It seems, as you say, that I'd best ask my server. Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Glenys, Deborah,

here is a link to the Moodle plugin which gives you access to the Moodle database via phpMyAdmin:

Once installed on your Moodle site, the above plugin is accessible via the Site adminstration -> Server -> Database.

regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Sounds great!  Thanks so much for the information Gordon!

Deborah

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon and Deborah,

I didn't have to do anything to install PhpMyAdmin locally - it just came as part of the standard package.

And I've been falsely accusing my wonderful host of not giving me access to PhpMyAdmin and I do have it on my online site: Site Administration > Server > Database.

Deborah, don't be ashamed of ignorance - nobody knows everything. I still haven't had the time to learn how do all the clever things you do with Flash.

PhpMyAdmin is rather daunting when you first look at it and I don't really understand it either. But when someone who does, gives me clear instructions as Gordon did above I manage. You can see the mdl_quizport_details table in the screenshot. (All those files on the left are called tables - took me ages to work that out.)

Here's a step-by-step tutorial on how to install Moodle1.9 on a Xampp sever on Windows 7

Cheers,

Glenys