Using Virtual Machine for Performance Testing Moodle

Using Virtual Machine for Performance Testing Moodle

by Poornima Muthuraj -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have Moodle Setup on Windows Server 2008. Unfortunately, I am not able to use Performance Testing tool in Windows Server 2008. The suggestion I got is to setup a Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2003 (Performance Testing tool works on this) and collect the performance results. Is it advisable to use VM for Performance Testing?

I appreciate suggestions from fellow Moodle users who have ideas in Performance Testing.Thanks.

Best Regards,

Poornima

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Poornima Muthuraj

Re: Using Virtual Machine for Performance Testing Moodle

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Poornima

Since no one answered I take a go, though I can only contribute more questions.

> I have Moodle Setup on Windows Server 2008.

Good luck!
;-(

> Unfortunately, I am not able to use Performance Testing tool in Windows Server 2008.

Why? There are definitely many virtualization technologies available for Windows 2008.

Wait, are you planning to do this on the same Windows 2008 Server where Moodle runs? That would be a bad idea, the testing tools: the VM host and all the guests within, will burden the server so much, that you are testing a crippled machine!

> The suggestion I got is to setup a Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2003 (Performance Testing tool works on this) and collect the performance results.

I you master Windows Server 2003, then take it. But not on the same hardware.

> Is it advisable to use VM for Performance Testing?

You are free to use a virtualization, as long as they don't pull the brake in your Moodle server!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Poornima Muthuraj -

Hi Visvanath,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using an Opensource performance testing tool OpenSTA. It is able to get performance counters from Windows 2003 server but unable to get performance counters from Windows 2008 server. I dropped off the idea to use VM now. I am trying for a workaround to make the tool get counters from Windows 2008 server. I'll post if I am able to make it work.

In reply to Poornima Muthuraj

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Poornima

I don't know about OpenSTA. Their homepage says something about CORBA. It is a big fish in that case!

"Performance counter" is another word for a benchmark I believe. Have you read the Performance FAQ "How do I benchmark a Moodle-site?" http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Performance_FAQ#How_do_I_benchmark_a_Moodle-site.3F