Course categories in Navigation block

Course categories in Navigation block

by Mark Johnson -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm hoping that it's possible to have the Navigation block display the course categories under the Courses tree, with the courses within that category underneath.  On the block's configuration there's an option to "Display categories as links", but that doesn't do what I expect.  Is this possible, or will it require modification of the block?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: Course categories in Navigation block

by Claire Browne -

Is this for Moodle 1.9? or Moodle 2.x?

In reply to Claire Browne

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, 2.x

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Mira Vogel -

Hi Mark,

"On the block's configuration there's an option to "Display categories as links", but that doesn't do what I expect.  Is this possible, or will it require modification of the block?"

This bamboozled me for a bit.

Do you have Administrator access?

If so, go into Site Administration > Appearance > Navigation.

Have a look at the Show Course Categories setting - it should be enabled.

Hope that fixes it - it worked for me.

In reply to Mira Vogel

by Asaf Ohaion -

This setting will work for 'courses' navigation node, which is not enabled in our setup becouse

we want students to see only their courses, I would like to enable categories navigation also

under 'my courses', which is not currently possible AFAIK.

we have made a patch for it, but its ugly and hard to maintain.

what is the right path to develop and push such a patch to the upstream ?

otherwise, is it possible to develop a module which will hook to the navigation block, cancel

the normal 'my courses' node, and add node of my own?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Asaf Ohaion

by thulasi raman -

Hi,

The front page even before the user logs in , is showing the Navigation block with all the categories and the courses available in the moodle site by default. I don't want anything to be seen - what am I supposed to do for this?