Can anyone that's used Equella or Alfresco with Moodle share experiences?

Can anyone that's used Equella or Alfresco with Moodle share experiences?

by Mark Hilliard -
Number of replies: 5

Opening a new discussion question...

I'm seriously interested in hearing from anyone who has tested or implemented either the Equella or Alfresco Content Management Systems to hold Moodle learning files/objects?

Alfresco linking appears to be almost native in Moodle, but I haven't heard anyone talk about what it takes to use or set this up and what kind of "user interfaces"  staff might see. The are two versions: 1. enterprise "paid" version and 2. Open Source Community Ed.

Saw an Alfresco demo a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

Equella CMS-repository, is only commercial I think, but advertises it's Moodle linking ability and has powerful features and big install base.

Anybody have experiences (good and bad) and insights they can share with those of us who are interested in using Moodle with full featured learning object management systems?

Things I'm interested in: Single sign ons?  File upload interfaces?  Setup requirements? How Moodle links Up (e.g. pass a URL big grin or do same old file copy... dead

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Mark Hilliard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Hilliard

Re: Can anyone that's used Equella or Alfresco with Moodle share experiences?

by Michael Penney -

Here is how our integration works - we use the commerical licensed Alfresco, which provides a set of webscripts that ease the integration process a bit. I seen some of the Equella integrations also.

Both Equella and Alfresco are non-trivial to setup and maintain, if you are doing either yourself I'd definitly recommend budgetting a few IT staff  to the job full time.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Martin Contreras -

Hi Michael,

I´m using the community license Alfresco, but I have some problems, not of integrations but the performance of the Alfresco. It consumes alredy 95 % of RAM (Almost 2 GB ). I don´t know which are the hardware features of your Alfresco. I would like you can help me 

Thank you in advance

In reply to Mark Hilliard

by cliff wrighter -

yes i had a good use out of equella. I think you schould try it. big grin

In reply to cliff wrighter

by Mark Hilliard -

Cliff,

Can you tell me more about how you use Equella, some of your work flows and Equella benefits?  Also, would really like to know if you use the Moodle PHP integration code from Equella and how that works?  (e.g. is it a file LINK or COPY or something else?)  thanks for any details you can share. Knowing the size/load you support would be great too!

Mark H.

In reply to cliff wrighter

by Martin Contreras -

Hi Cliff,

I´m investigating about Equella but I don´t know how to prove it. I will appreciate if you can answer me some questions about it:

• Can I put a complety book of Pearson as a resource (The university I work have ebooks)
  • Some books of Pearson contains some interactive activities. Can I put this activities inside the equella, and then inside moodle ?
  • How much is cost your license in Equella?
  • I don´t know if you have seen MH CAMPUS of McGraw-Hill, but I like something like this. If you don´t know abput MH - Campus ignore my question

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

Martin