Video deployment in Moodle 2.0.3+

Video deployment in Moodle 2.0.3+

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 0

Abstract for this post: with the improvements in 2.0.3 in video handling, is there a simple (and easy and quick) way in vanilla moodle to upload by Add a resource > File (or any other options) a video clip and it deploys with a scrubber at the right size and just works.  cool

I know there have been a lot of fixes for video issues (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Multimedia_plugins#FAQ_Media_and_Moodle_2.2B - Tracker MDL-26697)

I've checked other forum discussions, and the docs.

The options off the screen for configuring media plugins is as below -  taken off a screen snap of it in v 2.0.3.

Is there a way to deploy FLV or MP4 files (or any other option) where we can Add a resource > file and it just 'works' ie

1. It finds a player (Flowplayer?)
  2. It displays the video in the player
  3. With the right size
  4. With the scrubber, pause, sound (etc)
  5. With a nice way to get back to where you came from

I prefer a small popup, but embedd is also OK provided there is a way to get back.

• I'm thinking of Vanilla Moodle, where I dont have to know the dimensions in advance to add ?d= in the URL.
    Ie no hacks, no plugins
  • I want to avoid having to code embed code.
  • I just want to Add a resource > file > upload > done.
  • For ANYONE to use - is not an overly technically process
  • Preferebly not a cludge
  • I want to avoid "Upload to youtube and link"
  • I want to avoid upload to server and link Unless it can be done in the file picker.

I actually feel like I don't know enough at the moment.

Thanks for reading!!

-Derek

From server settings:

Multimedia plugins

YouTube

filter_mediaplugin_enable_youtube
Default: Yes
YouTube video sharing site, video and playlist links supported.

Vimeo

filter_mediaplugin_enable_vimeo
Default: No
Vimeo video sharing site.

MP3

audiofilter_mediaplugin_enable_mp3
Files with extension *.mp3. Plays audio using Flowplayer, requires Flash plugin.

Flash

videofilter_mediaplugin_enable_flv
Files with extension *.flv and *.f4v. Plays video clips using Flowplayer, requires Flash plugin and javascript. Uses HTML 5 video fallback if multiple sources psecified.

Flash animation

filter_mediaplugin_enable_swf
Files with extension *.swf. For security reasons this filter is used only in trusted texts.

HTML 5

audiofilter_mediaplugin_enable_html5audio
Audio files with extension *.ogg, *.acc and others. It is compatible with latest web browsers only, unfortunately there is no format that is supported by all browsers. Workaround is to specify fallbacks separated with # (ex: http://example.org/audio.acc#http://example.org/audio.acc#

), QuickTime player is used as a fallback for old browsers, fallback can be any audio type.

HTML 5

videofilter_mediaplugin_enable_html5video
Video files with extension *.webm, *.m4v, *.ogv, *.mp4 and others. It is compatible with latest web browsers only, unfortunately there is no format that is supported by all browsers. Workaround is to specify fallbacks sources separated with # (ex:

#), QuickTime player is used as a fallback for old browsers.

Legacy media players

Following formats are not recommended for general usage, they are usually used in intranet installation with centrally managed clients.

QuickTime

playerfilter_mediaplugin_enable_qt
Files with extension *.mov, *.mp4, *.m4a, *.mp4 and *.mpg. Requires QuickTime player or codecs.

Windows

media playerfilter_mediaplugin_enable_wmp
Files with extension *.avi and *.wmv. Fully compatible with Internet Explorer in Windows, may be problematic in other browsers or operating systems.

Real media

playerfilter_mediaplugin_enable_rm
Files with extension *.rm, *.ra, *.ram, *.rp, *.rv. Requires RealPlayer.

Average of ratings: -