Best wiki for Moodle 2.0?

Best wiki for Moodle 2.0?

by Kristin Darken -
Number of replies: 1

I have been eargerly awaiting our installation of Moodle 2.0 because I was looking forward to the wiki upgrade - but feel a bit lost.  I am guessing that our administrator installed the default wiki inside of Moodle (which is a derivative of nwiki, right?)

Is there a place I can go to read documentation on the wiki.  Back in 1.7 we had installed dfwiki and while there were certainly some usability and stability issues that concerned us, but there were many features I liked - I figured that with Moodle 2.0 the wiki that had been integrated would have been an improved version of the original dfwiki.  It appears to me that the current Moodle wiki (wiki2?) actually now has less functionality than the previous ewiki ... (i.e. can not support attachments).  It also does not seem to include the one feature that I know our users (students and faculty) really want - the ability to subscribe to a page - which dfwiki had.  Where can I go to read up on differences between wiki2 and ou wiki?  And is there a current roadmap for enhancements of wiki2?  I am still a bit confused about where Moodle is heading with regards to wikis (which I think are fundamental tools if you are trying to teach in a social constructive environment.)

Many of our faculty go to external appliations (like pbworks) for their wikis now - we would prefer if they kept their learning activities inside our LMS as much as possible so our users have a more consistent experience.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristin Darken

Re: Best wiki for Moodle 2.0?

by Stephen Overall -

I collected some of the open issues regarding Wiki 2.0 from the tracker here...

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?reply=768009

...after running into problems using Wiki 2.

I second your statement that wikis "are fundamental tools if you are trying to teach in a social constructive environment." Wiki is one of the very coolest and creative features in Moodle and I look forward to using a fully functional Wiki core module inside Moodle 2 soon.