Program management

Program management

by Richard Wyles -
Number of replies: 11

The team at Totara, a distro of Moodle for the corporate environment, is currently developing program management functionality, most of which might be useful to Moodle core. We'll post initial thoughts here - the right spot for suggested contributions of code.

The program management feature provides the capability to define complex learning paths and assigning them to learners en masse. Administrators are enabled to create learning paths by creating sets of courses, defining dependencies between sets and controlling their order and flow. Created programs can then be assigned to a variety of sets of users.

Thinking of the common areas where this would work on a standard Moodle, we believe the specific requirements for this functionality are:

• Ability to define complex dependencies between courses e.g. pre-requisites, order
  • Ability to define dependencies based on events and elapsed time e.g. within 4 weeks of joining
  • Ability to make courses mandatory
  • Ability to define recurrence of required completion e.g. once every two years
  • Ability to assign programs to individual learners
  • Ability to assign programs to manually created groups, which can be saved and reused for assignment of other programs
  • Ability to display programs within a catalogue
  • Ability to provide navigation through programs for enrolled users
  • Ability to automatically handle course enrolments on the basis of a learner's progress through the courses within the program. The key thing the extension does is to trigger / prevent enrolment for courses within the program for individuals.
  • Ability to generate automatic reminders
  • Ability to report on program progress (this ties into Totara’s Report Builder so we’d need to work on either bringing this into Moodle core or an alternative approach)
  • Ability to handle changes to learners while part way through a program
  • Ability to provide exception reports (ties into Totara’s Report Builder)

cheers
Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Wyles

Re: Program management

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Does sound a lot like re-inventing ELIS, from the little I have seen of ELIS.

It does seem that most of this could be done with plugins, without touching core code. The one bit of core changes that might be needed is some stuff around course enrolment and completion to enable calls t various other plugins to enforce things like prerequisites.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Timetable

by ranganath t.m -

Hi Sir,

I am searching for timetable plugin and i am trying to create on my own but i am confused in database can u tell if any timetable plugin present which is good to use

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard Wyles -

Hi Tim,
I haven't seen anything of ELIS I'm afraid and I know little about it. We'd be happy to collaborate on it naturally.... We do almost everything as plugins so this will be no different. Over the next week or two we'll put the spec. into the wiki and invite further comment.

cheers
Richard

In reply to Richard Wyles

by Sahar Ali -

Hi Tim

Any update on this pluggin? or any similar pluggin available for 2.8

Regards

Sahar

In reply to Sahar Ali

by Just H -

Have a look at ELIS (mentioned above but substantial improvements since then).

In reply to Just H

by Sahar Ali -

Hi Just H,

Thank you so much for a prompt reply. I have been looking into ELIS for a while. A bit confused from where exactly to get the complete installation package. We currently have moodle 2.8 installed at our organization. Is latest version of ELIS compatible with 2.8 and do we need a hosted server (like Alfresco) for ELIS or would we be able to configure ELIS with our moodle just by installing the patch/s.

I know I have asked too many question regarding ELIS on a wrong thread smile. Sorry about that.

Regards

Sahar

In reply to Sahar Ali

by Just H -
Hi Sahar

I haven't really used ELIS much, basically just installed it to have a look (quite impressed with it actually but too late for me, my organisation has decided to go with a commercial product sad) Since Remote Learning moved it into plugins instead of patches it appears to be just as easy as installing any other plugin.

To actually get the plugins you need to go to their github repository. It's a bit messy (still has the old integrated version listed so you need to figure out which ones are relevant from that link) but I think if you go for the ones that have been updated 15-16 days ago you should find all the ones you need (at time of posting so depending when you look may be a day or two different).

They do have a version out for Moodle 2.8 and you can install their plugins on your existing Moodle just as any other plugin. No need for Alfresco, but from what I've seen of Alfresco, if you actually need a document repository for your organisation you could do a lot worse (I think Remote Learning recommend it as it's a good product and they've done some integration work with it).

Regards

H

In reply to Just H

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi H -

We do need to provide a bit of a map to the necessary plug-ins... But until then, for Moodle 2.6 and up, you need the following plug-ins to get the entire ELIS functionality:

moodle-local_eliscore.git
moodle-local_elisprogram.git
moodle-local_elisreports.git
moodle-local_datahub.git
moodle-block_elisadmin.git
moodle-block_elisdashboard.git (ELIS >= 2.7)
moodle-block_courserequest.git
moodle-block_enrolsurvey.git
moodle-enrol_elis.git

mike.
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Just H -

G'day Mike

I hope my "bit messy" comment didn't offend smile  I can assure you I have come across much more confusing github, bitbucket etc. accounts. 

I think you and your team are doing great work with this and even though the powers that be at my org have signed up with a commercial LMS, so I'll never get a chance to implement it here, I for one thank you for your business model and not locking your code away. 

H

by Sahar Ali -

Thank Mike and H for your prompt help! smile
I have downloaded the pluggins and will be going ahead with their installation in a while. I Hope everything goes well. Thank you very much again!

by Mark Whitington -

Hi Mike,

Like others I have installed the new release of ELIS using the nominated plugins above.

It appears that the initial instal went well last week. (no errors)

I am working my way through the Manual... I am at pg 85 "Assigning Roles in User Sets".

When on the Roles tab within any created User Set I am only able to see two roles... Manager and Program Administrator... it looks like none of the standard Moodle roles are available unlike the image in the Manual.

Do I somehow need to sync Moodle Roles with Elis?

Hope you can assist.

Cheers

Mark