Online Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 course converter

by Kristina Hoeppner -
Number of replies: 8

Hello [sorry for cross-posting],

It is now possible to convert Moodle 1.9 courses into Moodle 2.0 via the online Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.0 Course Converter, a script written by Catalyst IT. We opened the online converter up for anybody to use now instead of only the Moodle in NZ Schools community.

That development work was made possible through funding from the NZ Ministry of Education.

All you need to do is upload your Moodle 1.9 file and provide your email address. Once the conversion has finished, you will receive an email with a download link.

The course converter only converts the content and activities as they are available in the Moodle in NZ Schools version plus the Hot Potatoes module. Thus, if you have a course with a module that is not yet supported by the Moodle in NZ Schools version, e.g. Stamp Collection, these activities will not be converted.

The converter works to the best of our knowledge. We will do our best to answer questions from people who use the converter and run into problems, e.g. not get an email with the file.

We will make the code of the converter available to the Moodle community so that others can install it on their own server instead of using the online converter. This code should be available within the next 2 weeks.

Cheers

Kristina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristina Hoeppner

Re: Online Moodle 1.9 to 2.0 course converter

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Kristina,

thank you very much for your post about the Moodle 1.9 -> 2.0 conversion tool, and a hearty thanks to the good people at Catalyst for all their splendid work, supported by NZ MIE. I was particularly pleased to see that the HotPot module has been included in the conversion script. I look forward to the source code becoming publically available.

best regards
Gordon

by Peter Easton -

will this work with 1.8.x courses?

Pete

In reply to Peter Easton

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This has been a great help for us at the Linnaeus University in Sweden, we are making a migration to moodle 2 during spring 2012-spring 2013. But I just saw that the converter will be closed at the end of august 2012!

Will there be any other service like this?

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You shouldn't need the converter if you are moving to a later version of Moodle 2 because it will convert the courses for you.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by chris dennison -
Hi, Mary. The automatic conversion does not include user data. This means that all forums and wiki's lose all their data. This has been a problem for our upgrade. Another issue is that any user created links from one topic to resources in another topic or course fail. I am trying to create a process to avoid/identify such issues. Broadly the idea is to backup a required course from 1.9, restore it to a virgin 1.9, upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2 then 2.3, backup from this new moodle2, restore to production moodle2. Implicit is this process is a change to the system url, possibly using 'replace.php'. By scanning the backup file I am hoping to discover user created links. For exampl, if the backup moodle.xml contains '$@RESOURCEVIEWBYID*5432@$' then the restore will not function properly unless restoring to the original moodle. I'd love to hear from anyone trying to do something similar.

by Joseph Blow -

I cannot locate the

In reply to Joseph Blow

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Joseph if you are restoring a 1.9  course into the latest moodle versions you shouldn't need it