QuizPort not completing

QuizPort not completing

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 14

I set up a QP with some branching conditions for the first time. I have for jMatches in two sets, each set contain two matches as html files not the jmt. For each set the first quiz contains a reading text with a swf file. The second one is a drag and drop without the reading text. Doing well on the first advances you to the second. If you do not do well on the second quiz, you are sent back to the first quiz to restart the cycle. One you do well on the first set, you are advanced to the second set of two quizzes with the same set up.

I have put in some simple html files (nextQuiz and returnQuiz) that just explain that you have to go back or advance to the next set.

I tested by making sure that if I did not do well, I was sent back correctly. That seemed to work well. I am going to attach a screen shot of the conditions and follow up with another post.

Attachment quizConditions.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: QuizPort not completing

by Jeff Finnan -

On the QP, I have exit text that says Congrats, etc., and it has a link to the course page.

Now, even though I completed the exercise, it said that I was still in progress. I ran through the entire QP again getting 100% first time on all four. However, it showed that the QP is still in progress. See screen shot.

Interestingly, if I have on the entry page to show attempts, it shows a resume button. If I click on the resume, it brings me immediately to the exit page text and link to the course page.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachment unitGrade.jpg
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jeff,

unfotunately I cannot tell what isn't working as expected just from the screenshots. Could you possibly recreate a similar QuizPort on my development server, so that we can look at it together:

I find it confusing to have a quiz named "Next Quiz", and furthermore to have two quizzes named "Return Quiz", so when you set up the QuizPort on my server ...

• please change the name of "Next Quiz" "Proceed to Water 2"
  • please change the name of the first "Return Quiz" to "Return to Heating Curve 1"
  • please change the name of the second "Return Quiz" to "Return to Heating Curve of Water 2"

cheers
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I uploaded my files unzipped them. However, there is this line at the top of the course page: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PRINT in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\19\mod\hotpot\lib.php on line 1119"

When I turn editing on, only the top four activities show. The other topics disappear. There is no ability to add any resources or activites. Also ,that same parsing error statement now shows beneath the four activities.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry about that Jeff. I was adjusting some HotPot code over the weekend. The error is fixed now though, so please go ahead and add the QuizPort.

thanks
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Okay, it is set up on yours. It is at the top of topic 1. I ran through it. Even though I got a 100% on each one, it says 71% in total and says still in progress just like on my Moodle.

Maybe something will jump out as egregious when you have a look see.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

The scoring anomaly maybe because your have all quizzes contributing equal weight to the unit attempt grade.

Probably you want to set the "Score weighting" for the following quiz files to "None":

• proceedToCurve2.html
  • returnToCurve1.html

It is possible to complete the unit without accessing the above files, so I don't think you want them to contribute the the scores and grades.

The quizzes are sufficiently challenging for me to have to think about the answers, so I will try that later when I have time to sit and think ...

cheers
Gordon

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Jeff,
I have built I duplicate of the "Water Heating Curve" activity and renamed and reordered stuff so that I can understand better what things do and how they are supposed to flow.

I understand now that you have 4 HP quizzes and 3 html transition pages. As I explained before the "Assessment" settings for the transition pages will need to be changed to zero score and zero weighting, as per the attached screenshot.

Gordon

Attachment heating.assessment.jpg

by Gordon Bateson -

Then I set up the conditions as per the attached screen shot, and "Hey Presto !" - it worked, by which I mean, I scored 100% on each quiz and was then shown the exit page. The results page now shows that the attempt is finished and I scored 100%.

I hope the screenshots and sample activity will serve as a model foor similar QuizPorts you wish to make in the future.

Gordon

Attachment heating.conditions.jpg

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for all this. However, even though you got 100%, it shows that it is still in progess. It should say completed.

Later,

Jeff

by Jeff Finnan -

I set up another QP on my Moodle. This time I just had the four jMatch quizzes and used the standard If => go to next quiz, if not same quiz, etc. No branching. This worked perfectly as usual.

There's something wrong then with the logic I am using.

Later,

Jef

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

I tried the attached conditions on my district Moodle. I intentionly failed 1 (flash) and was set back to it. I then passed 1(flash) but intentionly failed 1 - no flash. I was sent back to 1 (flash). After that, I went through and passed each subsequent quiz until the end. This was scored as completed.

The only thing I don't like is that some students might be confused when sent back to the flash version that they already have seen. I could give a warning that this may occur in the entry page. However, I think some will quickly forget about it. That's why I like the in-between web pages that explain.

Later,

Jeff

Attachment quizConditions2.jpg
In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks for bearing with me Jeff. I see what you mean now. I was confused but now I understand the problem. I have located the cause, and fixed it.

Please confirm that the two "Water Curve" QuizPort activities on my development server now work as expected - that is to say the status is set to "Completed" when the "Water Curve 2" quiz is completed *no matter what path* the student took through the quizzes.

Unfortunately I cannot easily fix the unit attempts that have already been done. They will remain at "In progress", and change to "Abandoned" if the student tries a subsequent attempt. However, please reassure students that their grades are not affected.

The QuizPort on your sites will start working as expected when the QuizPort module on those sites is next updated.

thanks again for reporting the problem !
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

Yep, I redid your setup on your Moodle. It showed Completed which is great.

I put in a request for my district to upload and install the latest version of the QuizPort module. I have no idea how big of a deal it is for them. I suspect they don't such request from teachers.

Thanks much,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Upgrading shouldn't be too big of a deal, but it is an extra job that someone has to do, and it would be very understandable if the system admins prefer to do the upgrade during a weekend or half-term, when the server may not be so busy. Actually, the fix was only 3 lines of code in one file, "mod/quizport/class.php", but even so they may feel they want to test it somewhere before releasing on the live system.

This issue only affects QuizPorts that have different possible paths through the quizzes, which may lead to a student finishing the unit without necessarily doing all the quizzes. Where the QuizPort quizzes have no conditions, or conditions such that the students will always end up doing all the quizzes, there is no need to rush to be updated.

regards
Gordon