Moodle migration 1.9.11 --> Moodle 2.x

Moodle migration 1.9.11 --> Moodle 2.x

by Herwig Rehatschek -
Number of replies: 2

Hello!

I have some questions in connection with migration of Moodle 1.9.11 --> 2.x, maybe some of you have already some experience with this?

Background:

we have running Moodle 1.9.11 on a cluster configuration (2 active servers) with two load balancers and with Postgres DB (mirrored). We have about 8000 learning objects within the database, and about 84.000 questions for tests.

My questions are as follows:

1) for which release of Moodle 2.x do you recommend that we shall upgrade. We would wait for 2.1, then we would proceed as follows:

we clone the current 1.9.11 instances & database, upgrade it to 2.1 and test it in parallel on the cluster. When it works we switch the load balancers to the new instance.

2) I heard of "performance problems" with Moodle 2.0.x in connection with big instances. Would our instance (see above) affected by this? Or is this only a rumour?

3) For which Moodle version we shall wait until we upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips and tricks!

Kind regards from a sunny Graz/Austria,

Herwig

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Herwig Rehatschek

Re: Moodle migration 1.9.11 --> Moodle 2.x

by Mark Hilliard -

Herwig,

You didn't mention anything about the training needs to help users adapt to the major differences in file/resource processes and handling in 1.9 vs. 2.0   So I am assuming you have thoroughly examined this??  yes??

If you have NOT, then I strongly recommend you take time to explore WITH your teachers the file management differences in 1.9 and 2.0 before you dive into upgrade issues.

File folders as you know them in 1.9 are gone (except for legacy files which are NOT recoemmended) and a radically different way file resources are used/handled has replaced it. Courses with mulitple teachers have some real challenges in 2.0

We are going to wait an academic year and see what happens with 2.0 files interfaces and carefully plan how staff who are experienced with 1.9 can be helped to understand the radically new interface of 2.0.

Sorry waste your time if you have already addressed this...but if you have a solution would LOVE to know how you plan to introduce new 2.0 Moodle file world !

Mark H.

In reply to Mark Hilliard

Re: Moodle migration 1.9.11 --> Moodle 2.x

by Herwig Rehatschek -

Dear Mark,

thanks a lot for your hint. Actually I already saw the new filesystem interface, but of course I did not use it practically so far. We will provide of course training for Moodle 2.0, however, I still have some hope that the current real Moodle power users will not have too much difficulties to use also the new interface. But we will see smile

Kind regards from a partly sunny Graz/Austria and thanks for the hint,

Herwig