SCORM module activity completion

SCORM module activity completion

by George Kong -
Number of replies: 3

I have a consulting client who has a large body of SCORM material, developed for K-12 students. They require their students to progress sequentially through these SCORM activities. Their classes are currently deployed on a verison of moodle 1.9.7+, which I have modified to enforce sequentiality.

The changes I made meet their needs currently, but they are not suitable for incorporation into a standard release of moodle.

As part of transitioning this client to moodle 2.0, I am planning to move them from my custom, ad-hoc sequentiality implementation to one based on moodle 2.0 conditional activities. I've looked at conditional activities enough to convince myself that I simply need to implement activity completion for the SCORM module.

I have begun work on this, and I hope to end up with code that can be incorporated into standard releases of moodle.

Right now, I could use help in 3 areas:

(1) I have searched a good bit and have not found evidence of anyone else currently working on this, but if you are aware of any activity in this area, please let me know.

(2) I'm not an official moodle developer, and I haven't been able to figure out how an outsider submits code for consideration for incorporation into the official code base. I'd appreciate any pointers in that direction.

(3) My knowledge of SCORM is not comprehensive, but I've worked with it enough to know that there is a lot of inconsistency in the behavior of SCORM content. My current sequentiality code considers a SCORM activity to be complete when the SCORM lesson has set cmi.core.lesson_status to "passed", "failed", or "completed," or it has recorded a grade. This definition of completion works for my client's current SCORM content. Is it the best choice in general? If not, can someone give a better definition of completion?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Kong

Re: SCORM module activity completion

by Aaron Barnes -

Hi George,

I have actually just completed the code to implement this for Totara, and will be porting it to Moodle 2.0 as soon as we have finished testing the code.

Our code works the way you describe in your last paragraph also.

Hope that helps!
Aaron

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Aaron Barnes

Re: SCORM module activity completion

by George Kong -

Good to hear!

Do you have an ETA for the moodle port?

Let me know if I can help, with development or testing.