Using Questionnaire as a self-assessment tool

Using Questionnaire as a self-assessment tool

by Dan Cox -
Number of replies: 7

Hi everyone,

I am creating a tool in my institution's Moodle to enable staff to self-assess their ability to use Moodle and keep track of their progress in staff training sessions.

I have drafted together some 'level descriptions' of five levels of user skill. I have started to create a questionnaire with Yes/No questions relating to these skills (each level on a separate page, with a label at the top of each page describing the level on that page).

Questionnaire has done a very good job so far... however, after completing the self-assessment questionnaire for the first time, I would then like users to be able to revisit their responses and update as necessary. When I have tried returning to the questionnaire all the responses are blank and the user must complete the whole questionnaire again (i.e. once a user has selected 'Yes' for one of the skills, it is unnecessary for them to have to select 'Yes' again for that skill every time they repeat the self-assessment).

Is there a way of achieving this? I.e. when a user returns to the questionnaire they start it with their previous responses already selected?

Alternatively, would the Quiz tool be more suited to this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Cox

Re: Using Questionnaire as a self-assessment tool

by Randy Orwin -

Have you taken a look at the database module. Easily done with this tool.

Good luck,

Randy Orwin

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Dan Cox -

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply - I had not considered using the database tool, although I can imagine how that would be effective. I have limited experience with database, it would probably take me a while to create! If a better solution does not come up I might have a crack at that.

Dan

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Kerry J -

Could you expand a bit on how you'd use database to achieve this? I've got an instructor at my organisation who is using interactive PDFs to accomplish this sort of self-assessment benchmarking and want to get him using Moodle to do it. I've just joined the organisation and they're on 1.97. We're moving to 2.1 in the coming months, but for this semester need to run on 1.9x.

Thanks!

KerryJ

In reply to Kerry J

by Randy Orwin -

Hi Kerry,

I would add a new database to my course and then create all of the appropriate fields that I want to use for the self assessment. You could use a yes/no format or you could use some kind of likert scale format to have them assess on a scale that could show improvement over time.

I believe that there are two ways to look at subsequent assessments. One way is to just have each participant edit their original entry with a thought of printing the first entry so you can measure progress. The second way is to just have the participants do the assessment again (my preference). Now you have a record with a date of each assessment. When you create the template for the list view of the results, you can configure it in such a way that the participant will see all of their attempts in a table sorted by date, which will easily show progress and growth. You also have the option of turning on comments so the instructor could comment on progress etc... This kind of self assessment using the Database module works really well.

You can find an example of this referenced in this post, http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118496&parent=760485. The sample database and data are still live. It is a bit different than what I have described but should give you an idea of how this process could work.

Good Luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Cox

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dan,

The kind of feature you want has been asked before in this forum and I have conducted several "experiments" towards that end. One "variety" of Questionnaire that I created was a kind of "portfolio", which allowed participants to enter data, save it and review it at will. However, this feature never made it to the "normal" distribution of Questionnaire.

These discussions will show you how the question was discussed.

As you may know (or not), there are plans to make a brand-new module in Moodle 2.1 (some time at the end of this year or more likely some time next year), called "Survey", which will incorporate the current features of the Survey, Feedback and Questionnaire modules combined, plus maybe some more features. See this documentation page: Development:Survey 2 brainstorm.

Right now there is a kind of workaround to do what you want. If you set your questionnaire to "Save/Resume answers = Yes", then the participants can fill in their responses, save them, review them, save again etc. This works exactly like you want except that, once the participants have clicked the Submit button, they can no longer review/edit/save their responses.

ATB

Joseph

PS You can contact me (at my email address in my profile) for any further help in this matter.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Dan Cox -

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply and the relevant links. I had set "Save/Resume answers" to yes in the hope that each subsequent 'attempt' would build on the last, but, like you say, this goes away when the user clicks Submit.

It's a shame the Portfolio Questionnaire didn't make it, I think it would be very useful.

Perhaps I'll make do with the current situation and wait for Moodle 2.1!

Dan