Enabling your Moodle site for online submission of PDF files and for online annotation of the PDF submissions. AWESOME STUFF.

Enabling your Moodle site for online submission of PDF files and for online annotation of the PDF submissions. AWESOME STUFF.

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi.

Thanks to this UploadPDF module by Davo Smith, and this post by Joseph Thibault, I've now enabled my Moodle site to receive online submissions of PDF files, AND direct annotation on those submissions.

To get the assignment module to work, Ghostscript (GS) has to be installed on your server. If your Moodle server doesn't have GS installed, then you might want to request your Web hosting company to do it for you. Or you might want to DIY it.  I use a Centos Virtual Private Server to host my Moodle site. At this time of posting, the latest version of GS is 9.02. These 2 links helped me to install GS on my VPS:
http://linuxadminzone.com/install-html2pspdf-library-to-create-pdf-files-using-php/
and
http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/ghost/GPL/current/

So NOW, I can get my students to save their homework or assignments in PDF format (Ms Word 2010 allows one to save in PDF format), and to submit their work in PDF format. Here's how it worked out for me. I created a dummy PDF file and logged in as a student account and uploaded it as a dummy test file.

Next, I logged in as my usual account and proceeded to annotate the PDF file submission.
After all, I didn't want Shakespeare to roll in his grave as a result of the "howlers" in the submission.

Here's what I did to the original PDF file while online on my Moodle site:

After I have finished annotating the PDF file, the (hypothetical) student is able to access/download the annotatd PDF submission while logged in in his or her account. Now is that a great feedback mechanism or what? The best thing is the annotation tools of this module now allow me to give feedback to my students, RIGHT INSIDE THE PDF file itself! AWESOME. Simple AWESOME.

Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Enabling your Moodle site for online submission of PDF files and for online annotation of the PDF submissions. AWESOME STUFF.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yep - and guess what? I met the Man Himself, Davo Smith, at the UK Moodle Moot this very day  -and what a nice man he is toosmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Enabling your Moodle site for online submission of PDF files and for online annotation of the PDF submissions. AWESOME STUFF.

by ben reynolds -

Following Mary (which I didn't manage to do very well today at Moodle Moot Uk 11) to say, I met Davo Smith this evening, and he's everything she says.

Frankie, are you sure that save as PDF isn't a function of having Acrobat also installed?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Frankie Kam -

Ben Thanks for your reply.

>Frankie, are you sure that save as PDF isn't a function of having Acrobat also installed?
>
That's a good question. YES I do have Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.0 installed on my laptop. To answer your question, I've tried the system on my college Lab PC. I removed Adobe Acrobat Reader from the lab PC....and it STILL WORKS.

Since the PC didn't have Adobe Acrobat installed, the only thing I couldn't do was to view the PDF file. If I clicked on the PDF file link, I received this system message:

So the only problem of not having Adobe Acrobat installed is local to the client PC. Everything else works within the Moodle site - the student submission and facilitator editing / annotating of the PDf submission works just fine and dandy. wink

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frankie Kam -

MoodleMoot UK. Wish I were there....

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

I am interested to know if anyone else is using this mod to give annotated feedback to your students' online submissins. I am especially intrigued by how others are using the annotation tools, in particular the freehand doodle (pen) tool. Do you use a mouse to "scribble" your comments? Or trackball? Or (you lucky person you) a graphic tablet? Or (oh how I envy you) a tablet PC? Anyone?