Video Conference on the Moodle

Video Conference on the Moodle

by Marcelo Rodrigues -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everybody,

I would like to know the following things:

1 - Can we do video conferencing in Moodle? I want my students (10 students) hear me and see what happens on my computer screen. Movement of the mouse, opening programs, Power Point presentations, similar to what occurs with Camtasia, which captures the screen, but without using the Webcam.

Thanks a lot to help,

Regards, Marcelo.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcelo Rodrigues

Re: Video Conference on the Moodle

by Jim Cook -

Marcelo,

You are asking a lot from Moodle. We use Adobe Connect Pro.  For $55.00 a month for unlimited use of 100 seats, I don't think there is anything that can compare. It even gives you the ability to see your students and take control of their screen if desired.

Jim

by Hubert Chathi -

Moodle itself does not have any video conferencing ability, but there are several integrations with video conferencing software, such as Elluminate, Adobe Connect, DimDim, just to name a few.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Marcelo

There is limited support for this in PoodLL. We use a java applet to capture the screen and send it out as stream to a Red5 server. The students can see the "screencast" .

The applet is basically a modified version of this open source project

http://code.google.com/p/red5-screenshare/

Bear in mind there is no audio. When I get a bit of time I intend to to overlay a webcam of the teacher into the top right corner of the screencast to provide teacher input and audio to what the students are seeing.

This route might be a "heavy" solution to your problem though. Another option if you don't need to be "live," Is to simply record the whole show over at screecast-o-matic.com

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Marcelo,

All the options mentioned on this thread require central media servers. this kind of setup is generally poorer quality and less reliable than peer-to-peer options like Skype. The only caveat being that all users must have a peer-to-peer VoIP client installed on their computer. I've been using VoIP for years - they're usually free and you can try them out without any initial outlay. When you have a good idea of what you need, you can decide if VoIP clients are appropriate for your particular circumstances or whether you need to contract a media service provider.

Just my €0.02! smile