Moodle 2 upload button for assignment

Moodle 2 upload button for assignment

by Ian Scott -
Number of replies: 7

When I create an assignment and then view the assignment as a student (changing my role from adminstrator) I do not see the submit button - I can only see the button if I log on as a real student.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Scott

Re: Moodle 2 upload button for assignment

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ian. Yes - that's the way it is - it isn't an error; just that sometimes switching to student view doesn't always give you the true picture and that it is best to use a student account.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Daniel Zimmerman -
In what way can this possibly be considered "not an error"? The whole idea of being able to switch to different roles is to be able to see what individuals with those roles see; if that doesn't work, what good is switching to different roles?
In reply to Daniel Zimmerman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

True; yes, agreed, but I have noticed in several instances that switching to student role doesn't necessarily replicate the real student role. I don't trust it much anymore. I am sure there is a tracker entry regarding this somewhere -I will try to dig it out.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ken Kuczynski -

Has anyone found a fix for this problem? Is it a version issue or a setting on our machines? How can we see what this will look like for our students without having to create a dummy student account?

In reply to Ian Scott

by gavin robinson -

Hi Ian

I was logged in as Admin.

I have had the same problem with Moodle v2.00.

Did not want to create a dummy student account.

The course I wanted to see the upload button in but couldn't had an enrolment key applied.

I requested to be enrolled as  student for this course.

The list of users was then displayed.

I filtered to my name and selected it.

I was then a student of the course.

Switched back to my normal role - Admin

Went to course.

Enrolment was requested

I enrolled.

Typed in the enrolment key.

Up popped the course with the upload button visible.

This process may also work with courses without an enrolment key requirement - I have not had time to test this variant yet.

An edit to above mssage

Yes- method above works with or without an enrolment key applied and only requires a few clicks without logging in and out as a dummy student.

Gavin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ian Scott

by Lisa P -

Hi!

I had the same problem. Did you check your teacher/admin's permissions? On the Moodle 2.0 site I was working with, the Submit assignment permission was not set for the teacher, thus they could not see the Upload button.

Site Administration>Users>Permissions>Define roles

When I set it to Allow,  teachers in the class were able to see the upload.

It does not help with "switch role to" issue, but may make the teachers feel more relaxed when the button is there. 

Thanks,

Lisa

In reply to Ian Scott

by Ted Holzmann -

My team has monkeyed with this one, too, and gotten quite frustrated over it. Gavin seems to have the problem licked, but I found his description a bit confusing and missed the point. Here is another -- maybe for some 'simpler' -- explanation:

THE TRICK: Whoever wishes to be able to see the upload button must actually be enrolled in the course. (As administrators/managers/teachers initially populating the site with courses, Moodle 2.0 does not recognize us as being 'enrolled' in the courses we are setting up!)

HOW TO:

• From anywhere in a course go to Settings>Course Administration>Users>Enrolled Users.
  • Click on the "Enrol users" button. (Whoever chose that spelling?!)
  • Use the search block to locate whomever (like your own admin name) and select the role from the dropdown.
  • Click on Finish enrolling.
  • Use the outlined plus sign to add more roles (I generallly assign administator both student and manager roles).
  • Voila!! When you return to the course assignment you will now see the "Upload file" button, even if you "switch role to" -- as long as you are logged in as an enrollee and assume a role assigned for that course!