Enhancement Request: Bookmark Manager

Enhancement Request: Bookmark Manager

by Todd Gibson -
Number of replies: 1
There is one feature I've desired out of Moodle that the Glossary module is remarkably close to: a bookmark manager

The motiviation is to have students discover resources on the Web which are relevant to the current learning activity. As these resources are found, they can be added and annotated to a bookmark manager. Just as comments can be added to glossary entries, so can they be added to bookmarks. Rather than starting from scratch each term, the bookmark manager data could be reused and expanded--becoming quite a useful student resource over time.

As a testament to this idea, several years ago I programmed such a beast in perl and I still use the tool today http://www.opencentric.com/wrcc/xml/linker/link.cgi.

At a technical level, the only major difference between this bookmark manager and the glossary is the addition of a single field (the name of the link) and some changes in terminology.

Combining the two into a single module might take some doing, but starting with the Glossary module code and modifying it to create a Bookmark Manager module would probably be pretty straightforward. I would bite the bullet and crank it out myself but as a doctoral student I'm currently starved for time. So, I offer this post as a hope that there is someone else out there who finds the idea valuable and has the time to whup up a new module.

Thanks,
-TAG
Average of ratings: -