Enable course page without login

Enable course page without login

by Vijay N -
Number of replies: 10

Hi All,

After checking out several moodle sites on the moodle.org website I came across a site that had a course page accesible to everyone. In normal situations you will need to have a moodle account before accessing the course pages. But this website actually let you see the contents of the specific course pages 

How do I make my moodle site do the same ( have a course page advertised without logging in)

Here is  a link to the website advertised on moodle.org:- http://intranet.peele.lincs.sch.uk/moodle/course/view.php?id=17&topic=0#section-2

I have added this topic over here because I suspect it might involve tweakign the code.

Vijay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vijay N

Re: Enable course page without login

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

HI Vijay. We do this on lots of course pages on our school Moodle and I certainly don't know about tweaking code. If you go to site admin>users>permissions>user policies, ensure you have auto login guests set to "yes" and then in the course settings, ensure you have guest access set to allow guest without the key.

example

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Vijay N -

Thanks Mary,

But, in that case this may not work in favor because some of our courses on moodle site do not have a key on it and are available to students enrolled to our college. Unless you can find a way to target guest login access to specific courses instead of general courses? we can adopt this method if not then we may have to look at it other ways,  any suggestions on this one?

Vijay

In reply to Vijay N

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

hi Vijay. We have courses with guest access and other (subject related courses)open only to the relevant students with enrolment keys. So yes, we have autologin guests enabled so that then any viewer who goes to a course with guest access can get straight in there but they still cannot access the courses available only to logged in users(with or without enrolment keys)

In reply to Vijay N

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Vijay,

+1 for Mary's comments

In my school I have (now and in the past) had courses setup so that

* Only certain logged in users can enter them (e.g. a staff only area)

* Any logged in user can access it if they have the key

* Any logged in user can access it without a key

* Guest users can access it by manually logging in as a guest

* Public can access it by being automatically logged in as a guest

none of these required any tweaking of code.

I think when I set it up the 'staffroom area' used specific permissions while all the other options can be achieved by the settings for each course (although I think its one or the other for the whole site when it comes to whether guests have to click to log in as a guest or it happens automatically - early sites i created they had to click, now I have guests logged in automatically).

This is to do with the way the courses are set up though and the theme is not relevant.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Vijay N -

Hi Guys,

I finally got this sorted by changing the guest access in administration/settings to "allow guest without the key" and changing default course setting - auto guest login option enabled.

This has sorted this out. I am running this on Moodle version 1.9.9

However the "Availability" and "Enrolment plugin "options are not available in moodle 2.0 course pages - edit settings under administration block or is it somewhere else?

Vijay

In reply to Vijay N

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Auto login for guests is in

Settings>Site Administration>Users>Permissions>User Policies

Guest Settings -> Yes and leave the password blank in the course settings is the Moodle2 equivalent to 'allow guests without the key'

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by amanda cooper -

I am a newbie moodler - site administrator ...I can do many things...but I cannot make a course 'open access' - I just want to be able to let folks click a picture from our front end moodle home page and go straight through to the sample course content..without having to enrol as a guest or enrol at all. 

I have attached some info...please can anybody help me out on how to get the setting right so that I can 'open' up my course to anybody without enrollements required. 

In reply to amanda cooper

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

You will need to set user permissions for Guest if you want a course to be accessable to visitors to your site. You may find Administration FAQ and Roles FAQ and also Permissions useful Moodle documents when doing this.

HTH
Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi!

I have the same problem. I have tride every setting, but my moodle will not login guests, they are simply returned to the login page. It worked before, but somwhere during the last months it has changed. I have posted images of the problem here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=190313

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Mary Cooch -

Have you seen this forum thread? http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=189732

There was a problem similar to yours in 1.9 where the word "guest" appeared in the username box and guests couldn't get into Moodle and it involved changing settings in the database for mnethostid - I don't know if this will make a difference but why not try?